Cloudy Water

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

B

BettaBettas

I have been having this issue with my fluval spec v for a while now, the water is very cloudy! I do water changes regularly and it still doesn't go away :l it will for about a day then bam next day its all mucky an cloudy again. its really annoying..
the fish don't seem to mind its cloudy or anything they act as they should (they act normal is what im saying lol), now the light is a pretty good size LED light (comes with the tank), and I have it planted with some carpeting plants, and some stem plants, parameters are as should be, as well as nitrates and ammonia, nothing is off,
And yes when I clean the tank I also clean the sand gently with my sucker tube thing (lol).
Any ideas on why my water is super cloudy and will never be clear? (also I tried some different water clarifiers, none of them worked... sadly :l)

Its an algae bloom or the sand wasn't washed properly, If the sand was not washed properly it could take weeks to clear up, If its an algae bloom you need to address the cause.

(also I tried some different water clarifiers, none of them worked... sadly :l)

Water clarifier's harm fish.

Its an algae bloom or the sand wasn't washed properly, If the sand was not washed properly it could take weeks to clear up, If its an algae bloom you need to address the cause.

Water clarifier's harm fish.
I disagree very much, in the fact that water clarifiers harm fish, they can but only if you get an off brand or misuse it. this tank isn't new, as I stated, and the sand has been more than properly and thoroughly washed, it isn't the sand, also its not algae and if it was it would have to unicellular algae, which like I said it isn't. the water isn't a greenish tint which that type of said algae (unicellular) gives off (the greenish tint). This is a murky kind of tint, resembling a clear lake, that's murky. hard to explain but an image doesn't show it, the best way to explain it is, its a clear but murky water tank. idk how else to explain the look alikes of it.

Does it resemble really fine particles that don't have any specific colouring?
It could be a bacterial bloom?

Does it resemble really fine particles that don't have any specific colouring?
It could be a bacterial bloom?
Yea that's a really good way of putting it! If this is a Bacterial bloom, how can I solve that?
Also Nickau how do u disagree with a question o-o

If it is a bacterial bloom it could clear itself up or it could be an indicator of an imbalance somewhere in your tank. did you add anything to the tank just before it started?

If it is a bacterial bloom it could clear itself up or it could be an indicator of an imbalance somewhere in your tank. did you add anything to the tank just before it started?
No haven't added anything, except food but im not over feeding

You could try adding some extra filter media from a trusted tank in there to see if that helps, it could be a case of there not being enough live bacteria to cope in which case the tank is trying to overcompensate

From what I understand, cloudy water can be from various reasons. Bacteria, food waste, fish waste, uncycled, gravil residue, ornaments, high PH, over stocked, and filter needs a squeeze bc it's goged up.

I have the same tank with a single Betta. I'd suggest you perhaps get your water fully tested with another test kit liquid ofc just to compare, and maybe try RO water. I don't recommend adding any water clearing products at all. Your fish aren't stressed in cloudy water it's just the appearance you do not like. Less chems for the fish the better. This said I know you've eliminated many of the above possible reasons, I have a feeling your tank has a bacteria bloom from what you said, but I'm no pro. All the best keep us updated.

You could try adding some extra filter media from a trusted tank in there to see if that helps, it could be a case of there not being enough live bacteria to cope in which case the tank is trying to overcompensate
Just got done reading this, added extra activated carbon. think that will help a bit? (from my other cherry shrimp 5 gal)

From what I understand, cloudy water can be from various reasons. Bacteria, food waste, fish waste, uncycled, gravil residue, ornaments, high PH, over stocked, and filter needs a squeeze bc it's goged up.

I have the same tank with a single Betta. I'd suggest you perhaps get your water fully tested with another test kit liquid ofc just to compare, and maybe try RO water. I don't recommend adding any water clearing products at all. Your fish aren't stressed in cloudy water it's just the appearance you do not like. Less chems for the fish the better. This said I know you've eliminated many of the above possible reasons, I have a feeling your tank has a bacteria bloom from what you said, but I'm no pro. All the best keep us updated.
Will do! thanks for the advice both of you :) very helpful!

I do water changes regularly and it still doesn't go away : will for about a day then bam next day its all mucky an cloudy again. its really annoying..

Plants, algae, and bacteria all consume nutrients from the water. Plants and Algae consume the same nutrients. Nutrient requirements for bacteria are a little different but there are still a lot of commonalities.

After a water change nutrient levels slowly drop as nutrients are used up. Then during the next water change nutrient levels will spike and then again slowly drop. The fact that it clears after a water change and then comes back suggest you are low on nutrients. Most aquarium water test kits only test for one nutrient nitrogen. Most of us and aquarium stores don't test for P, K, Ca, Mg, S, Cu, Fe and several others. Testing for all nutrients in the water is possible but the equipment is very expensive.

I would try adding a small amount of Flourish comprehensive fertilizer. to the cloudy water and and see if it clears up without doing a water change.

Note, I have never had a bacterial bloom caused cloudy water. So I don't know if my reasoning is correct or if it will work

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back