Cloudy water in California

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Annbraun08

Reaction score
50 gallon tank. 15 years off and on aquarium keeper. Can't seem to reliably achieve clear water. What's changed???? Puzzled!

Is the cloudy water in the tank itself or is it the tap water thats cloudy?

But in this case am going to assume it is the tank water thats cloudy.

There could be a number of reasons for this, but the most common reason of cloudy water is a bacterial bloom.

Bacterial blooms occurs when the tank is forming new bacterias, this commonly happens in new tank set ups when just starting a fishless cycle for example.

Can you provide a bit more information regarding your tank, such as is it cycled, what sized tank, how long has the tank been running, what filtration you have and have you replaced or did a big clean of the filter and/or media, any changes to your tank perhaps the addition of a number of new stock?

The more information you can provide, the better the idea of your set up we have and the more likely to be able to help you.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry!

50 gallon.
Double sided External filter.
3 weeks set up after moving from San Diego to east of San Fransisco
I was having the same problem in SD

LED overhead

Plastic plants
Standard gravel
15 small fish: 4 neon, 4 platies and 4 guppies, 3 glow fish

New filters. Tempsrure may be too low w preset gauge. I have more to go regarding cycling water.

Thanks!!

New filter does explain more, means it's likely to be bacterial bloom as you're basically now cycling the tank.

But with the number of fish you already have, going to be a fish in cycle rather than Fishless cycle.

Fish in cycle takes longer and lots of water changes required.

Do you have a water test kit for ammonia and nitrite at the very least?
Ph and nitrate tests would be helpful but it's the ammonia and nitrite that's the most toxic to your fish.

Yes. Testing daily w water changes every several days 20-30%. Seems to be a bit clearer today!!! Thanks again. I'll stay the course.

Yep, due diligence required.

Change the water when required.

Routine water checks.

And don't replace any of the filter media.

Any queries or if you get unsure, just ask or start a thread.

Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Back