cloudy new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lindac

Reaction score
:wub: I would be grateful for any help. I have recently set up a new small tank, I have a suitable heater and water filter for the size of the tank but over the last few days even before I introduced a few fish the water was a little cloudy. As I only got 6 small tetras on Thursday night I don't think that it is over feeding as they have only been fed a couple of times. At the shop I had the water tested and was assured it was ok to get fish. Will the cloudiness go away???????????????

Thanks for any help

Lindac

what type of filter have you put in would it be an under gravel filter. if you have one it might be getting some of the dust left after the gravel was rinced. and churning it round. eventually it will stay at the bottom of the tank only to be sirred up again when you moove something. its difficult to filter out of the water if it is gravel dust. it could be a sort of brown alge but i would suggest that takes longer to appear perhaps a week. hmm puzzler also when did you first notice the cloudyness

I have a FLUVAL filter that goes on to the side of the tank. The water was clear until I put the filter in. I washed the gravel on the first day added water then the next day I put in the filter.

I was told at the pet shop that it will clear but it may take a short time to do so but I just want to be reassured again incase there is something wrong.

The fish that I have seem to be doing fine so the cloudiness is not bothering them, only me................

Linda

hmm if it was one of those new fluval plus filters then (and im not so shure about the fluval 1 plus) they recomend you rince the medium (sponge) before first use. i dont however think that it would make the water too cloudy not noticably so. unless it was a display model or something. they do a little carbon insert that goes in the top of the filter canister that would probably remove the dust. if none of your fish seem stressed by the cloudyness it probably wont affect them :/ . i have had a few cloudy tanks over the years and none of the fish have seemd to be affected by it unless its really heavy clouding. does the cloudyness seem to be receeding at all? i found with mine it went allmost completely after about a week. also you might notice that some of the cloudyness might be due to the ultra fine bubbles put out by the pump check up close to see if the cloudyness shines and try taking the airator of the pump. just a few ideas not shure if its much help.

;) Thanks for taking the trouble to help. I didn't wash the foam pad before I put the filter in. I have also turned off the air bubbles for now but when I looked again later today I think that it may be a bit clearer.

Thanks again

Linda

i love helping its half of why i come on here the other half of course is because i need help myself sometimes. the little bubbles are pretty good for the fish. i put an air stone in mine instead of the bubble thing on the fluval but thats only because it was spare. good luck with the tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back