Clear Fins

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

argoma

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So i got a betta about one week ago. It's my first betta fish ever. I have kept many goldfish before and my last two ones died because of fungus so i decided to get a betta because they are so beautiful.
I went to my local fish store to get one and they had many females but i fell in love the second i saw a beautiful red veiltail. I got it that second together with water conditioner and flakes for betta fish. He is now in a small not heated or filteres tank temporarily until i get a bigger one this or next month.
Recently i found that he had some fuzzy stuff hanging from his top fin so i supposed it was cotton fin fungus and got fungus treatment and treated him. Also got him pellets and he loves them better than flakes.
Now yesterday i noticed that the tips of his fins turned clear and an almost clear red in all his fins except for his top fin.
I would really appreciate someone maybe telling me what i could do for him, he is such a cutie.

Thanks !

A white fluff on fins isn't actually a fungus. Don't worry this is a common mistake. Most fungi are found on a fish's lips or near the eyes. When a white fluff is present on the fins, this is actually a virulent bacterial infection caused by a bacteria called columnaris. Also commonly known as Fin Rot. 

This was probably induced a buildup of ammonia and decomposing organic matter, due to what I am assuming to be an uncycled tank. This means, if it even has a filter (as all aquariums should), there are no bacteria living in the filter media. These special bacteria break down the ammonia released by the betta into inert and non-harmful nitrates that are removed by a weekly water change. 

To save this betta, there are a few things you need to do:
  • Buy an aquarium, no smaller than 5 gallons. It should include a heater and filter.
  • Dechlorinate the aquarium water before adding the betta with dechlorinator, a good brand is API StressGuard or Seachem Prime.
  • Heat the tank to approximately 74* degrees Fahrenheit. This is the perfect temperature to combat this infection as it is cold enough to slow the spread of the disease, but warm enough for medicine to work.
  • Buy and use an antibiotic for a gram-negative bacterial infection. The antibiotics can be found at chain pet stores, and will usually say that they treat Fin Rot.
  • Use some Aquarium Salt according to directions on box. Not table salt, not sea salt, Aquarium Salt. They sell this at chain pet stores, and is specifically labeled Aquarium salt.
  • Since this is an uncycled tank, there will be a huge build up of ammonia daily. This will only make the betta sicker and weaker. Do small daily water changes, and buy some ammonia remover to help the betta cope.
  • Buy a liquid testing kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate so you can monitor the water quality.
Hope this helps, and good luck!

Feather said:
A white fluff on fins isn't actually a fungus. Don't worry this is a common mistake. Most fungi are found on a fish's lips or near the eyes. When a white fluff is present on the fins, this is actually a virulent bacterial infection caused by a bacteria called columnaris. Also commonly known as Fin Rot. 

This was probably induced a buildup of ammonia and decomposing organic matter, due to what I am assuming to be an uncycled tank. This means, if it even has a filter (as all aquariums should), there are no bacteria living in the filter media. These special bacteria break down the ammonia released by the betta into inert and non-harmful nitrates that are removed by a weekly water change. 

• Buy an aquarium, no smaller than 5 gallons. It should include a heater and filter.
  • Dechlorinate the aquarium water before adding the betta with dechlorinator, a good brand is API StressGuard or Seachem Prime.
  • Heat the tank to approximately 74* degrees Fahrenheit. This is the perfect temperature to combat this infection as it is cold enough to slow the spread of the disease, but warm enough for medicine to work.
  • Buy and use an antibiotic for a gram-negative bacterial infection. The antibiotics can be found at chain pet stores, and will usually say that they treat Fin Rot.
  • Use some Aquarium Salt according to directions on box. Not table salt, not sea salt, Aquarium Salt. They sell this at chain pet stores, and is specifically labeled Aquarium salt.
  • Since this is an uncycled tank, there will be a huge build up of ammonia daily. This will only make the betta sicker and weaker. Do small daily water changes, and buy some ammonia remover to help the betta cope.
  • Buy a liquid testing kit for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate so you can monitor the water quality.
There is a big difference between fin rot and columnaris.  Columnaris doesn't normally occur on the tips of the fins.  It is most often seen on the mouth or somewhere on the body.  Fungus will appear on the tips of fins sometimes although just having something fuzzy appear on the ends of the fins doesn't mean that your fish has either of these things.

Now the rest of the stuff that Feather has recommended are good things.  I suggest you read this if you haven't had a chance to already ;  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423362-betta-splendens-caresheet/    it goes over all the basics for keeping your betta healthy and in the best condition possible.  

Now for the clearing of the fins, can you get a pic?  That would help us to see if this is just coloration or something to be worried about.  

I think the clear spots you see at the end of the fins is just new growth, it's part of the healing process after the infection.

Cotton fin fungus is a fungus, any of those fluffy appearances on the fish's body, it looks like it sits on the surface of the fish's skin.
Columnaris is a disease that rather looks like it is in the tissue!

Ooops, ninja'd by Wildbetta
smile.png

Feather said:

I got a treatment for him this monday. It says in the instructions that it treats fungus, bacteria and fin rot. I am currently using it and i'm intending to start doing 25% water changes everyday. The little guy seems to be happy, sometimes his fins "close" and he hides in his cave but usually he is just swimming around his tank.
Also, today i washed all his aquarium and his decorations including plants, gravel and his cave with boiling water just to make sure that it wasnt from the aquarium because i had fish dying in that tank with fungus before. On the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate thing, i am getting a marimo moss ball any time now (waiting for it to be delivered). They say it "eats" the ammonia and all the bad stuff for fish. I cant get the Aquarium Salt right now because i'm on a budget due to school material and books. Would it be okay if i treated him with the fin rot treatment i bought only?

Wildbetta said:

There is a big difference between fin rot and columnaris.  Columnaris doesn't normally occur on the tips of the fins.  It is most often seen on the mouth or somewhere on the body.  Fungus will appear on the tips of fins sometimes although just having something fuzzy appear on the ends of the fins doesn't mean that your fish has either of these things.

Now the rest of the stuff that Feather has recommended are good things.  I suggest you read this if you haven't had a chance to already ;  http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/423362-betta-splendens-caresheet/    it goes over all the basics for keeping your betta healthy and in the best condition possible.  

Now for the clearing of the fins, can you get a pic?  That would help us to see if this is just coloration or something to be worried about.  

tumblr_msojds9QQI1r6l7zpo1_500.jpg

Here you have. I'm sorry it's not good quality and is not of his full body but he wouldnt stop moving, he hates me taking his photo...
Hope it helps

If it says it treats fin rot as well, that's fine. The aquarium salt is just a little extra to help combat the illness, as fungi and bacteria hate salt. Aquarium salt is rather cheap, PetSmart sells small cartons for around 5 dollars.

You'll still need a filter and heater for the little fella, or else his illness will be the least of your problems. :(

The clear tips to his fins looks to be regrowth from either damage or fin rot.  The clear areas should darken up eventually.

If your tank is less than 5 gallons you need to be doing 100% water changes daily to keep the levels safe.  You do need a heater but you do not need a filter if the tank is less than 5 gallons since bettas do not require them and then 100% water changes per day will work.  

I would not medicate at this time if you have already treated him with the fungus treatment and you no longer see anything going on except the clear edges to the fins.  Overmedicating can be just as bad or worse than not medicating so care needs to be made before medicating fish.

Wildbetta said:
The clear tips to his fins looks to be regrowth from either damage or fin rot.  The clear areas should darken up eventually.

If your tank is less than 5 gallons you need to be doing 100% water changes daily to keep the levels safe.  You do need a heater but you do not need a filter if the tank is less than 5 gallons since bettas do not require them and then 100% water changes per day will work.  

I would not medicate at this time if you have already treated him with the fungus treatment and you no longer see anything going on except the clear edges to the fins.  Overmedicating can be just as bad or worse than not medicating so care needs to be made before medicating fish.

I only gave him the medication because yesterday he had that weird thing hanging from him top fin. Also, his top fin had been a little curled since i got him. He came with the fin like that, could that be a problem ?

Feather said:
If it says it treats fin rot as well, that's fine. The aquarium salt is just a little extra to help combat the illness, as fungi and bacteria hate salt. Aquarium salt is rather cheap, PetSmart sells small cartons for around 5 dollars.

You'll still need a filter and heater for the little fella, or else his illness will be the least of your problems.
sad.png

I will be getting a bigger tank this month i hope but the filter and heater i'm not sure when i can get them. I'm having a big tank for christmas with heater, filter and everything so that he can have even more space than the one tank i'm buying soon. It's a good investment but just that i cant afford it right this moment because of my budget...

His top fin being curled like that is actually quite normal to see in veiltail bettas and is no cause for concern.  The next thing you need to be worried about getting is a heater of some kind.  Keep up with your water changes and the filter and larger tank will be fine to wait on for a little longer but the heater is very important for a betta's wellbeing.  :)

Wildbetta said:
His top fin being curled like that is actually quite normal to see in veiltail bettas and is no cause for concern.  The next thing you need to be worried about getting is a heater of some kind.  Keep up with your water changes and the filter and larger tank will be fine to wait on for a little longer but the heater is very important for a betta's wellbeing.  
smile.png

Thank you so much for your help
good.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back