Clear Finned Rainbow shark

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
I saw one at wallmart with regular rainbows, and if it's like super rare or something I may get it. He's probably dead or gone by now but he really caught my interest. What is he? I really don't have room for it but if it's worth some money I may buy a big tank and give breeding a try. I know it's never been done consistently in aquaria but it would be cool to try. He's so pretty much better looking than the red-finned. If all else fails if he's rare I could probably sell him to an LFS for a good chunk of change. He's sooooo pretty.

edit: come on guys somebody on here must know something about them I have scoured the interenet to my limits and I can't find a thing. This makes me think that they are EXTREMELY rare but who knows. I'd hate for a rare fish like that to end up in some kids 1 gallon hex

ive seen these sharks with the clear tails plenty of times and i dont think they are rare i think they are younger sharks that have not got all there color yet

I don't think so. He was one of the largest fish in the tank.

have you got a quarantine? because its probably just a rainbow that's feeling poorly. i'd leave well enough alone, especially considering the shark troubles you've been having already.

but if you just HAVE to have it, give it a nice long isolation period to make certain it doesn't have anything wrong with it. especially if its from a scummy* WM tank.

*not to imply that all Walmarts are scummy; mine's recently gotten its act together and has pretty decent tanks now. of course, all the fish are still off-color, but :dunno: that probably has more to do with the 24/7 lighting than it does with disease...

24/7 lighting, wtf. My wallmart's lights turn off at ten every day. Why wouldn't they invest in a timer?

I've been afraid to say anything on here because I know it was stupid, but ummmm uh I bought him. I know I know I couldn't resist He's sooooooo pretty and all the other fish were picking on him and he was fighting for his life. I just couldn't resist the poor little guy. I have him in a cycled ten gallon now with 4 wcmm. He hasn't changed color's and it's been a couple weeks so I think it's a natural color variation.

Yah know how you can rationalize anything if you try hard enough, well I thought the four rainbows in the 29 will be in a bigger tank soon, and the pictus in the 29 will eat the danios frog and kuhli loach, leaving just enough room in the 29 gallon for another rainbow shark. I know it was stupid. But that's how i rationalized it. If that didn't work out then I was thinking that rainbow sharks do better in groups of 5+ or alone, so I thought that when I get the larger tank I could buy one more rainbow and add them at the same time so the aggression get's spread out.

Go ahead yell at me I know I deserve it.

edit: this is the wallmart I was at when I talked to the little girl who had two rainbow sharks in a 1 gallon hex with a common pleco. I just couldn't let him suffer that fate. I think wallmart may have such crummy conditions so that big hearted people and small minded(children, and me) people will both buy there fish and they won't have to pay the extra expense of keeping fish healthy.

:p should've guessed. well, i'm glad you've got him separated out and no evidence of disease yet. he should be fine in the 10g for a while.

about the 24/7: we've got 2 SuperWM in my town, both of which have that ultra-bright flourescent lighting. seeing as SWM are also open all-day, every day, the fish kept in its department have absolutely no period of darkness. the bettas have to be in even worse condition, seeing as they're kept in clear bowls on a shelf. i really think that the constant light exposure is part of the reason so many WM fish are in bad condition; they have no period in which their bodies can say "time for rest!"

ah I see what you mean. I didn't think about the external lighting for some reason. Sure when the tank lights go out it's darker but it's not dark enough.

BTW I set a bad example. i should've been honest with you guys. I won't do it again.

should've guessed,
I figured you already had. I couldn't take lieing to you, you saved so many of my fish. So I cracked. I've changed my profile now. :sad: I'm sorry

edit: i've been wanting to post pics soooooooooooooooo bad. It sucks living a lie I wouldn't recommend it.

I found a picture. he looks like this, I'll take some pics tommorrow since I've already got the tank lights off

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Shark,26.jpg

Can I use pictures from sites like this? Mods?

here's a picture I took. It's upside down because he hides at the back of the tank and I had to do a few acrobatics to get a good shot of him.

I flipped it
cfbs.jpg

I hate to disapoint you torrean but I dont think its a clear finned red fin, from the image I'm guessing its actually a flying fox epalzeorhynchus kallopterus same family as the rainbow shark which is Epalzeorhynchus frenatus, similar requirments to the E.frenatus and E.bicolor but apparently not as aggressive (I have never had one, though I have thought about it) from what I've red on them they are good community fishes for larger aquariums and can be kept in groups, allow for territory like rams and similar cichlids though.

katchan

PS hope this gets cleared in time to be of use

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back