Cleaning Glass With Fish In

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mak

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys, when u clean the aquarium glass on the inside,  can u do it with the fish in and do they mind? 

they wont mind, go ahead and do it :) my fish sometimes like to peck at my arms when I go in to clean the glass :)

Most of my fish keep out of the way except the Green Tiger Barbs who like to peck at my arm!

When I clean my cory tank, I usually end up with about 50 shrimp on my arm. 

Another question, I have just set up my tank but it has water marks on the inside of the glass  from when I cleaned it before adding gravel, what can I use to  wipe them off? the tank is already full of water but the water marks are noticeable.

pecking is an understatement my green tiger barbs ambush my arm being a little hairy it catches bubbles on it they seem to find that amusing :( they can hurt if they all go for the same spot the  cheeky things haha but ye crack on, er i use a stanly blade style algae scraper i think from JBL blue handle with a blade on, not recommended for young children but it works amazing for cleaning a lot better than those magnetic scrapers or green scourers on sticks you see

here is what i got, should work on anything that is stuck to the side of the tank,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JBL-Aqua-T-Triumph-Aquarium-Scraper-/400299953270

but if the water marks on the out side of the glass i use glass cleaner and a micro cloth thingy

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd think the razor blade is a little zealous for some water marks. But hey ... that's IMO.

If you do use glass cleaner for the outside, make sure you spray the cloth, not the glass directly.

Thanks guys, what temperature does everyone have their aquariums at? My heater came set at 23-24c and that is what I have kept it at.

It depends a bit on what fish you're keeping, but for most tropicals, you want it at 24/25°C.

most of my tanks are so deep i have a hard time reaching the bottom of the glass, so i use a magnetic glass cleaner, its alot easier too, no need to put your hands/arms in the tank, and no, the fish dont seem to mind

Its is my belief that when the fish peck at arms or the back of hands they think they are going after hair algae. My first experience with this years ago involved juvenile Siamese Algae Eaters. They would cruise the back of my hand or my forearm trying to munch off the "hair" algae. It feels like a tiny barber's electric clippers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back