Clay rock work....

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hairy_Trev

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi People!! It's been ages since I was here but have come back to see if I can benefit from other aquarists'experiences...

For my first aquarium, I created my own DIY rock background using polystyrene sheets, layered up and painted with cement. I was very happy with the results but on a new tank set up, I am hoping for a different look.

I have made a 'surround' or liner from polystyrene as before, to go around the inside walls of the tank and will next add various random sheets of poly to create depth... but now for the dilemma...

I have bought a 5kg block of Oven bake clay, used for modelling. Although it says on the packet that this should be fired in a kiln, that isn't an option for me.

The intention is to cut the block into 'sheets', about 5mm thick, lay it over the poly wall and then smooth it by hand to hide the gaps. The overall look should be of a flatish, but undulating rock face.

As mentioned before, firing in a kiln is not an option so I figured to just leave it in the open air for several days for the moisture to evaporate, leaving a hard and solid surface. But researching about clay in fish tanks, I have heard that when it has dried out, if then exposed to water, the clay will absorb the moisture again and soften, therefore possibly being ingested by fish.

Has anyone else tried using dried out clay in their tanks? How did they get on? What problems did you encounter or was it a successful project?

I look forward to hearing your experiences very soon...

Trev

okay so to start off with if the clay is not fired it will become soft (essentially mud again) and this will pollute your tank with soft clay. even although this might not be harmful it will still be very undesirable.

okay so to start off with if the clay is not fired it will become soft (essentially mud again) and this will pollute your tank with soft clay. even although this might not be harmful it will still be very undesirable.

Dammit!!! Not the answer I was hoping to receive, but you sound like you speak from experience. Firing I don't think is an option as the heat required will melt the poly framing. Any ideas of how to stop water getting at the clay to soften it? Painting it over with the cement mix possibly?

mmm yes i made a pot once and it did not end so well. sorry man. ummm it would be easier to just build up the layers with cement. its a far safer option in my opinion.

mmm yes i made a pot once and it did not end so well. sorry man. ummm it would be easier to just build up the layers with cement. its a far safer option in my opinion.
OK..... thanks again... I guess I'll just have to order the ceiling tiles as before.... if you check out the photo on my profile, you'll see the results of my first effort on the 70 litre tank!!! 4 years old now!

About 6 months ago, I was lucky enough to see that someone had 'dumped' a Fluval Roma 200 litre at the roadside. Inspection found a large hole in the front and broken plastic trim/brace bar, but a small sum of money bought replacement glass and eaurobracing... cleaned up and repaired, now ready for setting up!!! (Pic attached if I can remember how!!!!)

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 218
why dont you silicon thoes rock like tiles that one can find at a hardware stor to the back of the tank

why dont you silicon thoes rock like tiles that one can find at a hardware stor to the back of the tank
I've not seen them before.... I'll have to consider it.... thanks for the idea...

its my pleasure. i am actually looking to do the same myself

I've resigned myself to the fact that clay isn't a good idea. In the interests of simplicity for now, and to see how it looks, I've just taken some irregular shaped pieces of polystyrene and randomly stuck them across the back. A small amount of scraping with a knife blade allowed the angular corners to flake away to make a less angular look...

Tomorrow it'll have holes cut for the filter inlet and pump outlet, before painting with cement...

Did you look at my photos? Wondered what comments you have...

okay well let us know how it goes.

i think your very lucky and its going to turn out really great

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back