Clams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mark7616

potatoes
Reaction score
Hi guys is it possible to keep a clam in a 55 usg were currently setting up a marine tank and I have very limited knowledge so please could you advise.

Hi Mark,

it's entirely possible to keep a clam in a 55usg marine tank, however they're pretty delicate and your tank needs to be well matured before you get one.

the key to suscessful marine keeping is to go slow, you really do need to have patience.

Get your tank set up and cycled and get reading. You'll need to do everything you can to make sure the waters nice and clean, upgrade your lighting to metal halides and get some experience under your belt. :good:

i have seen clams successfully taken care of in a PowerCompact tank. But they were placed near the top and didint seem to mind. But i would say MH is better

flash

They need target fed phytoplankton

A 2xT5 probably will not be enough. 4xT5 sure, but not 2x

Could i!? as u know ski ive got 4x 54watt one :D???

If you have individual reflectors and place the Clam high up in the rock work, yes. Try and get it in 10" or less of water. I'd choose a Crocea at least 3-4" in mantle length at its longest point to have the best chance in such conditions.

Could i!? as u know ski ive got 4x 54watt one :D???

If you have individual reflectors and place the Clam high up in the rock work, yes. Try and get it in 10" or less of water. I'd choose a Crocea at least 3-4" in mantle length at its longest point to have the best chance in such conditions.

I have 3 t5s with reflectros on each tube and have a deresa clam which is happy it is 9 inchs from the surface. Its 2 inches fully open.
its fed plankton once a week. :)

im also thinking about getting a clam! my lfs just got them in, there only small though about 2, 3 inc long.. I have 2 x 175 MH and 65x 4 PC lights so i know im good for the light, but are clams alot of work to care for?

Thanks!

im also thinking about getting a clam! my lfs just got them in, there only small though about 2, 3 inc long.. I have 2 x 175 MH and 65x 4 PC lights so i know im good for the light, but are clams alot of work to care for?

Thanks!

the bigger they are the easier they are to keep due to their mantle size, but dont let this put you off it sounds like you have ample light and if you provide enough food they should thrive. any idea what type of clam they are? good luck!

Oops sory left out the name of the calm! The one im looking at is a Crocea Clam (very bright blues, green, purpples ect..)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back