Cichlids rubbing against gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ryan231211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello.. I've just started a new malawi cichlids tank... I have 4 in there at the moment.. the very same day I got them I noticed that every now and then they would rub there body and scratch it along the gravel... I have been reading up on it.. and it's saying probably white spot.. so I have kept an eye on them for past few days and been looking closely.. there are no sign of any white spots at all.. I've checked there gills.. nothing from what I can see... all 4 of them seem happy and fine.. they are swimming around fine.. playing... there eating fine... does anyone have any advice on why they could be scraping along my gravel? I keep checking all the time.. I can not see any white spots at all... none what so ever. Thank you in advance

Thank you for them they was really interesting.. and helpful... maybe it's not white spot then.....but I'm still unsure...

My water.. is spot on I would say..
About 10 to 15 nitrates..
0 nitrite...
0 ammonia
And think it was around 7.6 PH...
and it's 117ltr tank... hope this helps

Yes all cycled.. been up and running for 6 months and my new filter cycled not long back

Thank you! I would say as long as they don't have any visible signs of illness, they should be fine. They may just be looking for food, or they are scratching themselves. Are they rubbing frantically? Or is just an occasional rubbing?

Can you post a short 20 second video of the fish rubbing?

After you turn the lights out tonight, shine a torch on the fish and see if they have a yellow/ gold sheen on their body. If they do they have velvet (Oodinium), which is treated in the same way as whitespot.

I'm sorry... when I go to post videos... it says file to big.. even on a picture it says that... must be my phone...

No it's not all the time.. just every now and then... I have had another look today... there are no white spots at all and they still look happy and active...

Put the video on YouTube and copy and paste the link here. We can view it on YouTube

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back