Cichlid mix

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Major Winters

Reaction score
I've recently set up a Fluval aquarium 80cm X 40 X 30,running a Fluval U3 internal filter.Id like a dwarf cichlid based community but unsure which to go for.Im looking at Rams,keyhole and cockatoo but what other tank mates can I put in there.Are pictus catfish suitable as I understand Corrie's are not Any advice/ideas welcome.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Pictus catfish grow too big for that tank.

Dwarf cichlids are generally kept as a species not in a cichlid community due to territorial fighting. If you want a male and several female cichlids of the same type then that is fine. But I would not mix several species of dwarf cichlid in that tank.

Pick the species you like the most and keep that. Then keep some small peaceful fish that live in the top half of the tank. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Pictus catfish grow too big for that tank.

Dwarf cichlids are generally kept as a species not in a cichlid community due to territorial fighting. If you want a male and several female cichlids of the same type then that is fine. But I would not mix several species of dwarf cichlid in that tank.

Pick the species you like the most and keep that. Then keep some small peaceful fish that live in the top half of the tank. :)
Thanks Colin,I can't decide between Rams or Cockatoo...decision decisions...what catfish can I put in as I've read that Cory's r a no go.

Apistogramma cacatuoides are better looking than Ramirezi dwarf cichlids. 1 male and 1 female would be quite happy in the tank. Have a cave in there for them and some plants and within a few months you will have babies. :)

The reason catfish and other bottom dwellers are not recommended for a dwarf cichlid tank is because the cichlids consider the entire bottom of the tank as their home/ territory. So any fish that hang around the bottom could be chased away. Apistogrammas are relatively peaceful and are unlikely to kill other fish but they will certainly chase bottom dwellers away from their nest when breeding.

Agree with Colin's posts.

Another issue with catfish is they are nocturnal, and if you intend raising fry, you will not likely have success with cories as they find the eggs or fry shoal at night when the cichlid parents are resting/asleep and unable to defend them. If fry surviving is not important, then the cories in a group of at least 10-12 would be OK with some dwarf cichlids, just watch the temperature. The common blue ram for example must have warmth, 80F/27C minimum, and cories willnot do well at this temperature, they need it down around 75-76F/24C.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back