Cichlid ideas for 90L aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TekFish

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post in a while. I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas for any Cichlids I could have in my tank. Details are as below.

Tank
Size - 90L / 20G
Dimensions - 45x45x45cm / 18x18x18" (approx.)
Planted? - Heavily

Water parameters
Temp - 24C / 75F
pH - 7.3
Total hardness - 256ppm / 14 dH

Tankmates -
Celestial Pearl Danio
Golden Pencilfish - (Could be changed)
Otocinclus sp. - (Could be changed)

The water is pretty average for my area. The tank is new, so I won't be adding any cichlids soon, as they tend to be fairly expensive, and not the most hardy of fish.

One fish I would be very interested in keeping are the Electric Blue Rams (Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi). Does anyone have any experience of keeping these in water this hard? If not, would it be possible to lower the hardness. If possible, I don't want to lower pH too much, as I am keeping CPD.

Thanks in advance.

The common or blue ram, Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, will be best when maintained in water close to that in which it was raised. Unless one knows the breeder/source, this is next to impossible to find out. Wild caught fish (which not surprisingly are more colourful than tank raised) obviously come from very soft and acidic water, so that is easy to know. Commercially raised fish will likely be desirous of somewhat harder water.

However, it is another parameter, the temperature, which often weakens this species. It needs warm water, minimum 27C/80F. This would be pushing the envelope for the CPD (Danio margaritatus), and with small-sized species the temperature is even more critical as it drives their metabolism. Then we have the surface space (substrate), which is not really sufficient though it could work if the other issues were resolved. Myself, I would forget the Ram here. The related species, the Bolivian (M. altispinosus) needs more space, though a single male might manage, but that is not the same as thrive.

This is a small space for most any cichlid, though some of the Apistogramma might work, or the Dicrossus sp. But these will almost certainly be wild caught, and thus demanding of soft slightly acidic water. They are all particularly delicate fish. I would also not recommend any cichlid with what you have already (the D. margaritatus). Many consider this a single species in an aquarium, but I will pass on that.

You asked specifically about cichlids, but there are perhaps other options. Corydoras (one of the commercially raised species, given the parameters) if you have sand substrate. Many of the small species that could otherwise work here are more sensitive to water parameters which makes it difficult. Maybe, increase the D. margaritatus?

Byron.

Given your water is fairly hard you're really going to be limited to tank bred specimens, your water chemistry is in fact very similar to mine, I've had many dwarf cichlids breed in my tanks, over the years I've successfully kept:

Bolivian Rams if you can find decent ones - most of them are given creatine and you can tell as they have enormous eyes, avoid them.

Blue Ram's but out of the question given their need for warmer water.

Apistogramma borellii
Apistogramma cacatuoides
Apistogramma agassizii
Apistogramma hongsloi
Apistogramma macmasteri
Apistogramma nijsenni

Tank footprint matters more than volume with cichlids, a trio of Apisto's (1m -2f) would work provided you provide them with enough caves, as they are cave spawners

Keyhole Cichlid's - probably as big as I'd go in a tank this size, try to get a pair if you can, though sexing can be challenging, they're very peaceful but rather skittish and do better with plenty of hiding places, you can tell when they're stressed as they go dark. Personally I don't think they would but they may go after the CPD's dependent on their size.

Thanks guys, yeah I found out about the Ram needing higher temps after posting. I'm not considering them anymore. I will increase the CPD numbers, definitely. The 2 I have now I had to move over from a 5 gallon. So I'm thinking of getting quite a few of them. The pencilfish will be there for dither fish. If you think Corydoras would be better, that could be an option, but I'm hesitant to put another shoaling species in the tank. If I were to have the pencilfish, CPDs, Otos AND Cories, I think it might be a bit much. StandbySetting mentioned Apistogramma borellii? After some research these seem to be good for me. They don't mind the fairly low temperature and they don't seem to mind the high hardness either. Have either of you had any experience with these? Are they usually tank-bred or wild-caught?

Another option could be a group of Scarlet Badis, possibly?

Last edited:
Imho, the A. borelli is your best choice, as it is the species which tolerates the hard water best. Though I am not sure if I would house any cichlid together with CPD.

Nannostomus beckfordi will be to large for your tank. One male can easily take the whole tank as it's territory.

The scarlet badis could work, but be aware that they will only take live food and maybe frozen food but no pellets or flakes.

Maybe you should have a look at Trichogaster chuna or Trichopsis pumila. I know both are no cichlids but might fit to your tank pretty well.

N.Beckfordi is too big? I thought they were small fish? Are there any other top dwelling dither fish?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back