Cichlid Agression

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cichster

Reaction score
I just got my first cichlid tank not to long ago. It's a 30 gallon, and I have 4 Cichlids, 2 African and 2 firemouths. There is one particular firemouth that has been very aggressive to one of the Africans and especially the other firemouth. The aggressive firemouth has left alone the Electric yellow African that I have, occasionally chases the Blue African, but has injured the other firemouth. Any suggestions? I've already tried shifting the environment, but still see signs of aggression. What should I do?

The problem you have is from mixing African and American cichlids. They don't speak the same 'language' - chemical signals and body gestures - and cichlids from the two continents should not be mixed. You need to separate them.

A 30 gallon tank is just about big enough for the firemouths.
But I know nothing about Rift Lake cichlids except that they need big tanks.

Edited to remove incorrect information

Last edited:
Your tank is simply too small. Nothing you can do except re-homing the fish to a better place. The tank is even very borderline for a single fire mouth (seriouslyfish recommends 120x30 cm base dimensions).

@essjay
No fish species should be kept in overcrowded conditions, also not the Rift Lake cichlids. That means permanent stress and shorter life span for them. If you cannot provide a large enough tank, don't keep those fish.

Thank you for the information on Rift Lake cichlids, Hobby5. This was something I had read in many places, but as I have soft water I have not researched these cichlids in any depth.
I have edited my post to remove the comment in case anyone else reads this misinformation :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back