Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Chlorine Poisoning

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish Emergencies' started by chezster, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. chezster

    chezster Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    South yorkshire UK
    If a fish has been unintentionally poisoned by excess chlorine i.e. bad sores on gills - sitting on bottom etc...

    Is there anything I can do to help this fish or is it likely to die??

     
  2. gixer

    gixer Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    Messages:
    798
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    shotton, deeside, uk
    are you possitive it is chlorine? if so how. can you give us more detail of what happened etc..

    also how long the tank has been set up. ammonia and nitrite readings and what is this fish? what size tank and what else is in there.

    the more info the better we can advise ;)
     
  3. chezster

    chezster Member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2004
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    South yorkshire UK
    OK need to be honest here.

    It's a goldfish - I know this is a tropical forum but you guys seem to know what you are talking about.

    I have taken the fish on from a young cousin who won it at the fair.

    It has been put in straight tap water and quickly developed black/white sores on its gills. It is also lingering at the bottom of the tank and scraping.

    I have adopted this fish in the hope I can save it - I hate it when these things are given away at fairs.

    The environment it is in now is OK (not brilliant). I just wanted to know if there is anything else I can do to save him.


    Thanks in anticipation.
     
  4. SailfinGirl

    SailfinGirl Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kent, england
    Ok, i don't know what you could do to save it, but if it pulls through, where I live you can buy this stuff called Aquasafe, I'm sure there's something like it near you, it makes tapwater safe for fish to live in. Hope the fish pulls through ok.
     
  5. gixer

    gixer Member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2004
    Messages:
    798
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    shotton, deeside, uk
    right.. at least you came to ask for advice. thats got to be a good thing ;)

    hopefully he is in dechlorinated water now....yes? if so im not too sure really what else you can do.this is not something i have come across myself but i would imagine fresh clean dechlorinated water will do the trick if he isnt too far gone.

    im not sure on this but my guess would be stresscoat could be beneficial as his slim coat will be affected. (help me out someone this is purely a guess).

    what are you keeping this fish in? has it got a filter? is it cyced or just a bowl?
     
  6. Cheese Specialist

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2003
    Messages:
    5,423
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Newcastle, England
    Stress Coat or aquarium salt would be good to relieve the stress on the fish a bit and help with it's slime coat.

    Stress coat also acts as a dechlorinator so perhaps it would be best to add a dose of that straight to the water as this will prevent further stress from taking the fish out of the tank/bowl or changing all the water.

    What is the fish in now, does it have a filter?

    Oh and don't worry about askingcoldwater questons, many people have goldfish too and a fish is a fish after all!

    Good luck :)
     
  7. sleepyflight

    sleepyflight Member

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    FL/PA
    Amquel, Aquasafe, Stresscoat, etc....dechlor and a lil salt w/new water. Sounds like he got the shock of his life. Usually chlorine poisoning will cloud the slime coating too. Not a cold water expert though. How come the people with cichlids never post much!!! :p
     
  8. Big_al_d

    Big_al_d Member

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2004
    Messages:
    58
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Near London, UK
    They still do that??? :eek:

    I haven't seen that in years and thought it was banned :eek:

    I've actually just read up and found out that most local authorities have banned it and the RSPCA are trying to ban it all together... the sooner the better.

    Hope everything works out,
     

Share This Page