Chlorine Control Confusion!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liv15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I've always used Tetra AquaSafe to make the tap water safe when doing water changes. But today I had to get more and I couldn't get the AquaSafe so I bought the store's own brand 'chlorine control'. I just wanna double check the ingredients with you people, it says "active ingredients - Sodium Thiosulphate, EDTA, Sodium Suphite" (note - i think American spellings would likely be spelt with an 'f' instead of 'ph' e.g. Sulfite) It says on the bottle it removes chlorine and chloramines and helps guard the fish against bacteria and fungal infection. It also says it soothes and calms fish when introduced to a new tank. The Tetra AquaSafe says it adds iodine and magnesium for vitality and growth and it says it binds heavy metals like copper, zinc and lead, the store's brand doesn't mention this.
I just want to know if this stores own-brand is good enough for my fish!

It sounds like its a more basic version of what you was using. So it will make your water safe but that's it, " bare minimum" it's good as you don't want to really use a lot of chemicals and its best to supplement you fish with food rather than meds.

Yea that's what I thought! Thanks :)

Sometimes less is more. I wouldn't really want the EDTA in there binding up the iron I add for plants, so I use a basic concentrated dechlorinator.

coolie said:
Sometimes less is more. I wouldn't really want the EDTA in there binding up the iron I add for plants, so I use a basic concentrated dechlorinator.
I think I need the ETDA (it dissolves lime scale right?) because my tap water is quite hard,not sure though :/

The sodium thiosulphate removes the chlorine; EDTA binds heavy metals (including coolie's iron fertiliser). Sodium suphite is a preservative.

Most reactions

trending

Back