Chinese Fire Belly Newts

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

dipsydoodlenoodle

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in getting a couple of Chinese Fire Belly Newts. I am in the midst of doing research on them at the minute. Iā€™m just wonderingā€¦they need bloodworms etc to eat. Iā€™m just wondering how often as no where seems to state this, is it once a day? Twice a day? Etc. Iā€™m just looking for a bit guidance :)

Also what kind of shops sell the relevant food? I saw the pet place sold it, but surely it would be nice to know where more than one place sells it just in case anything ever happens to the one shop.

Feed these little guys daily..they will eat a variety of livefood and often will take freeze dried and frozen foods..all available in most fish shops and some pet and reptile stores....
Remember ...HANDLE WITH CARE..If at all!!!..Wear rubber or latex gloves with these newts or at least wash your hands really well after handling...those bright belly markings are a warning!!

aye...get those toxins in your eyes mouth ears or nose and you will know about it! i used to keep a chinese fire belly and fed him a few live foods including:

blood worms, brine shrimp, daphnia and mysis

Only put a small amount in at first and slowly increase this each feed til you see they can't eat anymore..always remove any food that is uneaten after about 5 mins...unless live bloodworm ,etc..they'll scoff this up over the day

Ok I got a newt yesterday; he's mainly been in the water; he's been wondering around his tank, sitting in his plants and had a little bit to eat; he seems quite enquisitve :).

I think the filter I have it a bit too strong though as he didn't seem to like it when it was on and he hid; when I turned it off he came out and explored. I was just wondering if the filter is too strong or maybe he is just unsure of it; I've just used the filter which came with the tank.

What kind of filters are best to use?

Small air pump operated sponge filters or small box corner filters with a low flow through are best..don't like strong, fast currents..a very small internal powered filter, if set flat and pointing upwards may do your trick as well

The one I have in at the minute is a small sponge one; I don't know which type it is; I'll have to check when I get home. I wouldn't have said it's overly powerful either.

It has no bubbles; and its WAY too noisy for the outlet to be above the water; I don't mind the water it's the noise the filter makes. I'm going to get an undergravel filter for him instead.

Ok I got a newt yesterday; he's mainly been in the water; he's been wondering around his tank, sitting in his plants and had a little bit to eat; he seems quite enquisitve :) .

I think the filter I have it a bit too strong though as he didn't seem to like it when it was on and he hid; when I turned it off he came out and explored. I was just wondering if the filter is too strong or maybe he is just unsure of it; I've just used the filter which came with the tank.

What kind of filters are best to use?

problem here is they need a totally aquatic home. its the Japanese firebelly that needs land. they are well known for "reluctance" to enter the water. but prolonged dry living is a sign of bad water.
mine took/take, any frozen (though thawed) food. bloodworm and daphnia going down best.

be careful, though don't worry about the toxins, too much. as truck says you don't want in it a cut or the eyes or mouth.(one newt can kill a man, if swallowed) but the water is totally safe (they do not give off a fog of poison). they can even live with other, none aggressive, temperate fish. i would also suggest you don't, attempt, to touch them. first off there is no point! second you could damage their skins.

i would go for a uplift filter or the bubble filter mentioned by Buddyboy67

The only time my newt has been out of the water if to lift his head above it for a breath of air and straight back down into the water again.

I'm not worried about the toxins as I don't plan on eating him haha. So long as he seems happy then I will be happy.

I'm going to try and undergravel filter; I'll get one tomorrow or Thursday and see about it; I've not had one before so I am interested :).

The only time my newt has been out of the water if to lift his head above it for a breath of air and straight back down into the water again.

I'm not worried about the toxins as I don't plan on eating him haha. So long as he seems happy then I will be happy.

I'm going to try and undergravel filter; I'll get one tomorrow or Thursday and see about it; I've not had one before so I am interested :) .

sounds like you are sorting it. the UGF, never occurred to me. but it could turn out to be the best option, out there. :good: i would however, make it a totally aquatic tank. two reasons:
1, its much easeyer to maintain a cycle wth a larger amount of water. it also dilutes the ammonia, more, as any food/poop, breaks down.
2, it simply is not needed.

For the filter I do think the UGF is a better option as I have the water coming out on to the back wall of the tank and just cascading down into the water; like a waterfall; it seems to have far less current in the water than the normal filter. It breaks the water surface and I can physically see it working so I know it's doing something at least. My newt doesn't seem to mind this one but he definately didn't like the normal filter.

I will make a totally aquatic environment for him, but firstly I would like to get a second newt. I'd rather get a second newt and then make an aquatic environment. Currently I have 3 rocks in the tank forming hiding holes and a "cave" in the middle; my little newt seems to 'sleep' in there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back