Chili Rasboras for Fluval Edge 46l?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tendo102

Reaction score
Hi there, I am new to this forum and still relatively new to the hobby. I acquired a 60l Biorb last year which was converted by my stepdad with an external filter which I have been keeping 10 neon tetra and in the last 2 months added 10 endler guppies in there. We were advised by the shop we got the fish from we could also keep a male crown tail betta in the tank with them. It appeared the neons nipped his fins and they were all stubby so we took him out (feeling awful about it) after buying and cycling a Fluval Spec 19l for him to live in. We used aquarium salts in case it was actually fin rot but he is now happy and his fins have almost all grown back.

I have now got a Fluval Edge 46l which I bought second hand for £30 (i like the look of the tank, I wont have space for it for a while but when I saw how cheap it was I grabbed it) and my husband is keen to get Chili Rasbora. Now the tank is lovely and very pretty, but I do also see how it can be a challenge to clean/etc due to its small opening. I thought of maybe getting another betta or moving ours in to there but I feel the opening is too small.

I was wondering if putting Chili Rasbora in the Fluval is a good idea, what to consider, how many I could keep or if I should consider different fish in the tank. We live in an (annoyingly) hard water area, though I buy RO as often as I can locally.

Thank you in advance :)

Hello there! I too have a fluval edge and yes, it's not fun to get in and out of.
Keeping the water changes up and quality will be your best bet on not having to get into it too often.
I do however have a nano mag, made by two little fishes that helps to get the inside glass clean without sticking your hands/arms in there.
Although keeping a nerite snail works even better. My little guy does an AMAZING job with the glass and all surfaces!

You do have a problem though...you mentioned you have very hard water. Your neons are most likely suffering as they prefer softer water. Your endlers however will thrive in that water.
And another problem there is you have two fish together with very different needs. Someone is suffering..in this case the neons.

The beta should always be alone! Do not try to give him any more roommates unless it's a snail (although he may harass even that).

And for the rasboras ...they are very soft water fish that will not survive in your water at all.

Look for hard water species to make your life much easier!

I didn't realise I was causing such an issue for the neons, maybe I should use the Edge for them to live in and get more suited tank mates for the endlers. I've heard about nerite snails before, so I'll get all this sorted out and look in to getting snails for the tanks once I fix the issues I currently have. Thank you so much for your advice!

I didn't realise I was causing such an issue for the neons, maybe I should use the Edge for them to live in and get more suited tank mates for the endlers. I've heard about nerite snails before, so I'll get all this sorted out and look in to getting snails for the tanks once I fix the issues I currently have. Thank you so much for your advice!

Sounds like a plan. If you do truly have very hard water and you plan to keep the neons you should look into mixing ro or distilled with your tap to bring it down to suitable parameters for the neons.

Harlequin rasbora will happily live in harder water like yours. Their native habitat is similar to the chille but they are far more adaptable. I have a lot of plants in my tank which they like to swim in.

Its a common fish but in large shoals like mine (16, soon to be more) they are captivating. Most shoaling fish only shoal for protection so in a tank, when they have settled they disperse. HQ seem to genuinely like to be with each other and there is always a large group together midwater. Fish go off to explore, one little guy loves playing in the powerhead flow. Then come back to the group.

Mine are in 'hard' water and thrive. Bright colours and they even do the nasty every so often as the water is quite warm for the shrimp.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back