Child proofing an aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Tooombsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

I mentioned in my post yesterday that I needed a filter for my tank, and found one that was being sold with an aquarium and stand. The mrs has caved and said I can keep the tank, as long as my son canā€™t pull it on himself.

My original tank is almost 200 litres and I can barely move it, so itā€™s never been a problem with kids.

The tank I acquired is a Juwel Korollux 60 with stand. Think itā€™s 54litres. Iā€™m setting it up in our bedroom as a shrimp tank but need some way of securing the tank to the wall so my son canā€™t pull it off the stand.

Anyone got any ideas?

Here is the tank. Iā€™m thinking of fitting a large sheet of wood to the back of the cabinet that extends up behind the tank, then bonding the tank to the wood. I can then screw furniture straps to cabinet and fix to the wall
E5F37A14-74F3-4AC6-8576-601C862B409F.jpeg

You should be fine by just attaching the stand to the wall, the tank will be over 100 lbs and the stand is high enough that I think it should be child safe with just the stand attached to the wall

Tell junior not to touch the fish tank. If that fails get a 6x2x2 tank and put junior in that. Add a bunny water bottle and a blanky and your set. When child gets annoying and starts crying, close the lid and turn the lights out :)

But on a serious note, kids can be taught look but not touch the fish and if you bolt the stand to the wall you should be fine.

Power points and cords are usually a bigger issue. Try to keep them tucked away somewhere safe, out of sight, out of mind. And in about 20yrs you won't have to worry about them anymore because they have hopefully moved out :)

You let kids in yur bedroom :eek:
Seriously, 54 litres of water is 54 kgs. Substrate is heavier than water and there is the weight of the tank itself. The stand is also designed to be stable. By the time he is capable of moving it he will be old enough to know better. Usual cautions about cables and hoses

All cables and hoses will be inside the cabinet. Main problem is my child is autistic and doesnā€™t really listen to no, but he loves the fish tanks and they help calm him down and always put a smile on his face.

As for the 6 footer idea, that sounds perfect. I could possibly even soundproof it so we couldnā€™t hear him crying when the kids closed, would be the first decent nights sleep Iā€™ve had in two years

lol gotta love kids crying. not :)

Dogs are meant to be good for children with autism. Avoid small breeds but some of the medium sized or bigger breeds can help a lot.

One of my dogs Chloe (a kelpie x shepherd) was declared dangerous by the corrupt local council because we were arguing about them dropping a tree on my car and refusing to pay for repairs. Anyway, while she was declared dangerous she had to wear a special reflective collar and lead. She was on the dog park minding her own business hanging out with the other dogs, when some people arrived and they had a couple of autistic kids. The kids saw the dogs on the park and ran towards them yelling doggies. Most of the dogs bolted but mine sat there and the kids grabbed her and hugged her. The parents were saying "don't touch the strange dogs" but the kids didn't listen. They spent about 30minutes hugging the strange doggy before leaving.

Anyway, after that the parents brought the kids back each week to the dog park and apparently the weekly visit and hugging session with the alleged "most dangerous dog in the City of Canning", calmed the kids down and they were much better at home and school.

Just a thought if you have space for a dog in your home :)

Depending on his age and degree it may be hugely beneficial for him to have his own tank to care for.

Now you have an excuse for another tank :whistle:

lol, mmm how many kids do you have? I'm sure I read in a medical journal that each autistic child needs 5 tanks to care for :)

I would love a dog but we are renting a house for the next few years while we save for a deposit on our own house, and no dogs are allowed here. I had an English bull terrier when I was younger, they are meant to be vicious but mine was a big softy. Itā€™s all about how they are raised not the breed, I find the worst and most vicious dogs are the little yappy snappy ones.

As for him having his own tank, he will love it when heā€™s older. But for now he is only 2 years 9 months, heā€™s hyperactive and strong for his age. He runs around shouting all day, the only time he was quiet in our old flat when we were in London was when he was watching the fish.

His favourite was my old reed fish, it used to come up the tank to greet him. He missed him when he was gone and still used to look for him every day. We came home one day and it was dried up on the living room floor.

Those things are escape artists

As for him having his own tank, he will love it when heā€™s older. But for now he is only 2 years 9 months, heā€™s hyperactive and strong for his age. He runs around shouting all day,
just sounds like a normal kid to me :)

My nephew, heā€™s nearly 10, has austism but apparently is ā€œmildā€ or ā€œlow spectrumā€ imho these docs who say that do not live with any austitic relatives and saying such diagnosis does not help any really.

Anyway, wall strap tank stand to wall should be adequate and just have to let him know not to move or touch tanks somehow but he can still enjoy watching fish swimming around etc.

A case of trail and error really and learning for you both as you go along, thereā€™s no real answer that helps specific kids with autism as they all differ really.

My nephew has learned not to touch fish tanks or equipment, he has an pretty strong aversion to germs/dirt so he refuses to touch the tanks or equip anyway but thoroughly enjoys watching the shrimps and snails from his safe spot, he enjoys the more colourful fish as well, am lucky in that regard really.

Btw, nephew is mad on cats, his mum has 4 cats at home and he loves them.
So a dog or cat is actually a nice addition for most autistic kids imho, that is if you are allowed, can afford and have space and time to have a dog or cat in future.

Forgot to mention, child locking the cabinet helps as well.

The standard kids cupboard plastic locking strap or lock works pretty well against young kids, well helped stop my 3 year old boy going into the cabinet but he has since learned how to open them by watching me :X

And keeping the extension/plugs stored in cabinet by securely fixing to the cabinet helps a lot as well, not just for keeping the kids away from the potential dangers but for you as well really.

52CAF74F-804F-4773-916E-2D4F33D502B0.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back