Chiclid lake salt dozing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It should be fine for snails.

Sodium chloride is a big issue to softwater fishes like Corydoras catfish and high levels of sodium chloride can affect plants. It damages kidneys and messes up the osmoregulatory system that helps control how much freshwater is in the fish's cells and body.

High levels of Calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride can cause problems to softwater fishes.

High levels of Potassium can cause problems to all fish and animals by damaging their kidneys.

It should be fine for snails.

Sodium chloride is a big issue to softwater fishes like Corydoras catfish and high levels of sodium chloride can affect plants. It damages kidneys and messes up the osmoregulatory system that helps control how much freshwater is in the fish's cells and body.

High levels of Calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride can cause problems to softwater fishes.

High levels of Potassium can cause problems to all fish and animals by damaging their kidneys.
Hmm it says it contains “sodium chloride

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
I just read the data on Seachem's site about this product, and I would not use it. It does not seem to do anything about increasing the pH, and for mollies this absolutely must be above 7.0, and in the high 7's to 8's.

The sodium chloride is also odd, though I admit that for mollies only this is not such an issue, though salt is still unnecessary for them.

According to the site data, you need to use the buffer products to deal with pH, as well as this salt mixture.

I thought his pH was in the low 7s.

Mollies are fine with a pH from 7.0 and up, and if there is some GH that allows them to live in water with a pH in the low 7s. The calcium chloride will push the pH up a little bit too, but not as much as the pH buffer.

If you want to raise the pH you can add some shells, dead coral rubble, dead coral skeleton or limestone to the filter or tank.

I thought his pH was in the low 7s.

Mollies are fine with a pH from 7.0 and up, and if there is some GH that allows them to live in water with a pH in the low 7s. The calcium chloride will push the pH up a little bit too, but not as much as the pH buffer.

If you want to raise the pH you can add some shells, dead coral rubble, dead coral skeleton or limestone to the filter or tank.
I was referring the the sodium chloride. What % is considered high enough to harm your fish or snails

When treating fish with salt I recommend 2 heaped tablespoons of sodium chloride per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water to be the maximum level of salt for most soft water fish species. The fish should not be exposed to salt for more than 1 month otherwise kidney damage can occur. Plants and snails can tolerate that without any issues.

When treating fish like livebearers, goldfish and rainbowfish with salt, you can have 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres of water. This level of salt will affect/ kill some plants. Some snails will be fine with this level of salt and others won't, but the majority will be fine with it. If the snails think there is too much salt they close their operculum and stay hidden in their shell.

Mollies can actually live in pure seawater so will be fine with any level of salt. When we got mollies in that had gill flukes and protozoan infections, we put them in the marine tanks for a few weeks and it cleared them up nicely.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back