Chiclid lake salt dozing

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I own a 20g with mollies. One of them is suffering from low water hardness so one of your members recommended me to get chiclid salt and I just got it today. What should I do now? X% water change or just get water from my tank, dissolve it in a separate container, and just add it to the tank?

It depends on when you last did a water change. If you did a water change recently, you can add a small amount (1 heaped teaspoon) directly to the tank. Then make up some water and use that to do water changes over the next few weeks. You only need to use the rift lake salts at half strength for livebearers.

Going forward, at the next regular water change and at each thereafter you should prepare the water before adding it to the tank. In other words, mix the salts into the bucket of water and then add it to the tank.

It depends on when you last did a water change. If you did a water change recently, you can add a small amount (1 heaped teaspoon) directly to the tank. Then make up some water and use that to do water changes over the next few weeks. You only need to use the rift lake salts at half strength for livebearers.
“Make up some water...”?

Going forward, at the next regular water change and at each thereafter you should prepare the water before adding it to the tank. In other words, mix the salts into the bucket of water and then add it to the tank.
Yes before i did the water change I first mixed 5 ml of cichcled salt (20g tank) waited 30 mins and then added it to the tank

“Make up some water...”?

Yes before i did the water change I first mixed 5 ml of cichlid salt (20g tank) waited 30 mins and then added it to the tank
That is basically making up the water. Fill up a bucket with tap water, add rift lake salts and dechlorinator, aerate for at least 30 minutes (or longer). Make sure all the salt is completely dissolved, then use that water to fill the tank. :)

When my water hardness balances up what should I do after? Do I have to keep adding a bit of salt every time I do a water change?

Yes, you will have to add some mineral salt each time you do a water change otherwise the minerals/ salts in the aquarium water will become diluted and the GH will drop.

Yes, you will have to add some mineral salt each time you do a water change otherwise the minerals/ salts in the aquarium water will become diluted and the GH will drop.
Does this type of salt kills plants? Also, does it lowers the ph, boost it up, or does nothing to it?

I think you are using Seachem Equilibrium, if so it will not harm the plants and should not change the pH of the water.

861CB501-8FE8-43D7-A2EB-4474E50BA818.jpeg
I think you are using Seachem Equilibrium, if so it will not harm the plants and should not change the pH of the water.

The Seachem cichlid lake salt will not affect plants but will raise the pH a bit.

The Seachem cichlid lake salt will not affect plants but will raise the pH a bit.
Thank you so much buddy. I’ve been learning so much with every post/other’s post. In my local PetSmart they can’t even difference the genders of mollies and lets not even mention petco

You need to keep the tank GH constant once it reaches the target level. Once the GH in the tank is where you want it, every time you do a water change you need to add enough of the salts to the new water to get the GH the same as the tank, then add the new water.

If plants are okay, that means It’s harmless for snails as well? If so what chemical from the other brands of salt actually harms the plants and catfishes

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back