Cherry Shrimps And Black Crystal Shrimps Together

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishmad_f

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am new to keeping shrimps. Also my Cherry's have hatched. What i want to know is i m getting black crystal shrimps too; can i keep them in the same tank? Will the two species be compatible with each other?

fishmad_f

Hi Guys,
I am new to keeping shrimps. Also my Cherry's have hatched. What i want to know is i m getting black crystal shrimps too; can i keep them in the same tank? Will the two species be compatible with each other?

fishmad_f
cant anybody help me, i need ur advice can i keep BCS and cherry shrimps together?

You are fine introducing a small species of shrimp like the black crystal with the similarly small cherry, with out risk of predatation, the only risk is cross them breeding, this is not as well documented, and I think the possibility between the two shrimp species in question cross breeding is slight.

But yes I have seen many tanks with the two shrimp living happily together....

Check for where the species originally came from and see if they lived in similar ecologies or even in the same biotype. This will tell you more about whether they are compatible and whether they will cross-breed.

My understanding is the (very red) Cherry Shrimp was "man-made" through selective breeding in Taiwan and that not-so-red wild varieties are also found in Taiwan and Southern China.
http://www.petshrimp.com/redcherryshrimp.html
http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php

I do not know much about the Black Crystal Shrimp but it could be a "new" common name for another type of shrimp. I did find that what is known as the "Bee Shrimp" is also called the Black Crystal or Crystal Black Shrimp.
http://www.petshrimp.com/beeshrimp.html (Here is a snip from this site: The bee shrimp will readily cross with the crystal red shrimp, chinese zebra shrimp and the tiger shrimp. The bumblebee shrimp might also cross with this shrimp, but it is less likely to do so since it is a completely different species.)

Cherrys prefer moderately hard alkaline water and crystals prefer soft acidic so you might have a problem here.Cherrys seem to be the most adaptable though so you would be aiming to cater for the crystals more than the cherrys.A ph of no more than 6.8 should be ok.

Crystal black...? Is that another name for the Ninja Shrimp?

If so, I don't think they'll cross breed. Unless I'm mistaken, cherries are neocaridina, while crystals are caridina. Different species. :)

Crystal black...? Is that another name for the Ninja Shrimp?

If so, I don't think they'll cross breed. Unless I'm mistaken, cherries are neocaridina, while crystals are caridina. Different species. :)

I think they are referring to black diamonds which are very dark bumblebee/crystal reds.

Thank you so much guys!!!
I am really thankful for your input!!! I think its better to keep both the species in different tanks!!! I dont want to experiment on them until i have some breeding done in their specific tanks!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back