Checking Tank mates and Tank capacity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shrikant.sable86

Reaction score
Hi,
I have setup up a new fish tank of around 160 liter capacity with a canister filter and oxygen setup.
currently having the below fishes.
1) 1 small arowana ( 5 inch)
2) 2 Parrot (2.5 Inch)
3) 5 angel (1 - 2 inch
4) 1 Silver shark around 2 inch
5) 2 mollies ( 1.5 Inch)
6) 1 Yellow Gourami ( 2 Inch).

Is the tank capacity adeqaute for the current nos of fishes ?
Initially I had just 1 parrot who used to be just shy and just go behind the drift wood. recently i introduced another parrot and the previous 1 has become active and started to attack other small fishes. Also the previous Parrot has developed some black spots on its body.
Please suggest a solution

Regards,
Shrikant

Will those fish stay that size for ever? The answer is no,
1 small arowana ( 5 inch)

Arowanas grow fast and require a tank of 800 liters or more.

2 Parrot (2.5 Inch)
Grow to about 8 inches.Require about 30 gallon tank for the first fish and 10 gallon for every extra fish, EG 3 fish 50 gallon.

Silver shark

Dont these get to like 7 or 8 inches long?

Before we go any further can you tell us about you water parameters? PH is it soft or hard?

I'm sorry to have to tell you but you have some serious stocking problems.

Arowana - you don't mention which species this is, but the smallest arowanas can grow to 90 cm/3 ft long which is just about the length of a 160 litre tank.
Parrot fish - are these the hybrid blood parrots? The tank is just about big enough for two but you should be aware that these fish have problems with their mouths.
Angel - 160 litres is too small for 1 angel, let alone 5. They also need a water depth of at least 50 cm/20 inches.
Silver shark - this is a large shoaling fish. You need at least 6 of them, and a tank with a minimum tank length of 240 cm/96 inches (8 feet). 160 litres is far too small.
Mollies - fine for this sized tank provided you have hard water. If you have soft water they will become sick.
Gourami - if it is yellow it is presumably a gold gourami which is a colour variant of the three spot gourami. This is one of the more aggressive gourami species.

You have hard water fish and soft water fish. You should choose one type or the other depending on your tap water hardness.
Gouramis and angelfish do not go well together.

You need to rehome all the fish except the gourami and the mollies; then find out how hard your tap water is and rehome the gourami if you have hard water or the mollies if you have soft water.

Then ask for advice before buying more fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back