Check Your Bottle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
My 80 gal planted tank needed a water change I did an 90% water change I do big ones now and then I use the fish water on my yard.

Well I grabbed what I thought was my dechlorinator added it and the. Started to fill. Turned out after I filled the tank I saw my fish acting weird normally they are happy. Then I realized I grabbed the wrong bottle I added some stuff that was to clear the pond water. So I quickly grab the dechlorinator add it and the fish start to do a little better.

I lost my neon tetras but that was it. So far the fish are still not acting right . But my tiny baby severum that is missing a gill plate is doing great he is one tough little fish. I am amazed he and my skunk Cory cats seem to have been the quickest to bounce back.

I felt so awful my old last remaining discus named School Bus he is 5 years old now and survived but has not made a full recovery.

Anyone know if I have caused permanent damage to my remaining stock?

Ah, sorry to hear of this.

Mistakes like this are easily made, especially if bottles look similar.

Hope your guys pull through without any further issues, no idea wether permanent damage has been done or not due this. 

Will keep fingers crossed.

I'd suggest a second water change, to remove as much of the additive as possible.  Then be sure to add the proper dechlorinator.

It sucks when things like this happen to a tank. I don't know what it is but this has been a bad year for this fish tank. In the summer my Heater went crazy and on the hottest day my tank temp was up to 100F I lost some fish then. Now this.  I have been keeping fish since 1997 and never had such bad luck. 

I am not worried at all about Baby Nip the Severum he has already made a full recovery but School bus is still looking sad. The other fish are doing good now too. 

This is so sad to read. Sorry that this happened. I would do a water change as well.

This is definately something I would do. I have an idea though. I am going to put different colored tape on all my dosing bottles so I don't do something like this.

Everyone that lived have recovered and are all doing great. I bought some new fish. 3 angelfish fish babies. 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back