Check my fish shopping list?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChrisKH

Reaction score
Hello!

I've recently started sorting out the tank I've had since childhood (The scrub mistakes I've made over the last ten years...). So far I have replaced the rubbish internal filter with an eheim ecco pro 130, replaced the substrate and decorated it with some Java ferns, Java moss, Hair grass, Moss balls and bogwood.
So far it has been cycling for a week and I'm planning on leaving it another 4-6 before starting to get fish. During this time I want to try and encourage the grass/moss to cover the ground as much as possible and if I can over the "branches" of the bogwood.

I was hoping that you guys could give me some feedback on the fish I plan to buy. I've tried to do as much research as possible but wanted to get some direct feedback, just in case!

The tank is roughly 90l, 76cm long, 40cm high and 31cm wide (So 24ish US Gallons?). I'm planning on keeping the temperature at 25-26c.
[Edit] We are in a hard water area and (from what I can make out) our supplier says we have 7.4pH and 101mg/l calcium (253mg/l calcium carbonate) which is 14.19dH. Using the tetra 6in1 strips is showing approximately 8pH and 10-12kH for my tanks water. I'm waiting for an API master test to arrive in a few days and will test with that ASAP.
I did have a 30cm common pleco in the tank until Saturday when I re-homed him, I imagine his poop and food have probably helped with ammonia. I am also going to be adding a few flakes of fish food now that he's gone, will that be enough for ammonia?
[/Edit]

From what I've been reading it's suggested that you layer the fish so I've tried to do that to some extent.
I'm thinking: 1 Dwarf Gourami, 6 Cardinal Tetra and 6 Panda Corys. Which is decently stocked if my maths is correct?
I'd start with the Tetra, wait a week or so to get the Gourami and wait another week or two before getting the Corys.

I think I've followed most of the advice on here and other places...
Any suggestions or warnings?

Thanks!

Edit 24/03/2017:
API Freshwater test kit results:
pH: 8-8.2
Ammonia: 0 - 0.25
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Last edited:
Hi there :)

Before we can properly recommend species for you, we need to know the pH and hardness of your water; if you don't know these yet, you can find them on your supplier's website.

Just letting the tank run won't cycle it, you need to be adding ammonia, and you will need test kits, if you don't have those already.

Hi there :)

Before we can properly recommend species for you, we need to know the pH and hardness of your water; if you don't know these yet, you can find them on your supplier's website.

Just letting the tank run won't cycle it, you need to be adding ammonia, and you will need test kits, if you don't have those already.

Hi :)

I'll edit my original post with this info too thanks.

We are in a hard water area and (from what I can make out) our supplier says we have 7.4pH and 101mg/l calcium (253mg/l calcium carbonate). Using the tetra 6in1 strips is showing approximately 8pH and 10-12kH for my tanks water. I'm waiting for an API master test to arrive in a few days and will test with that ASAP.

I did have a 30cm common pleco in the tank until Saturday when I re-homed him, I imagine his poop and food have probably helped with ammonia. I am also going to be adding a few flakes of fish food now that he's gone, will that be enough for ammonia?

Last edited:
AqAdvisor says this is a decently stocked tank (79%). The parameters you should be looking for with these species are:
Recommended temperature range: 24 - 28 C.
Recommended pH range: 6 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

So you might want to lower your pH a little bit to be on the safe side. When you say you have hard water, do you know how hard it is?

AqAdvisor says this is a decently stocked tank (79%). The parameters you should be looking for with these species are:

So you might want to lower your pH a little bit to be on the safe side. When you say you have hard water, do you know how hard it is?

Thanks for that! That looks like a very useful site.
I wasn't sure which hardness to quote so in the post I originally put the mg/l which equates to 14.19dH (I'll add this to the OP too).

I have had the new bogwood in for a week now, is there a rough way to estimate how much that will bring the pH down and over what period of time it does that or is it way to vague?
What would you recommend I do to bring the pH down that little bit in this scenario?

Thanks for all the help so far!

I'd say keep testing the pH and if it doesn't come down enough for your liking (I like to try and keep mine midway through the range), then add a chemical pH corrector.

I'll do that, thanks. I'm interested to see what the API test result will show as I'm sure it'll be more accurate than the strips.
I was playing around with the AqAdvisor and thought about adding some Guppies in the future (a few months time).
Adding 4 (1 male, 3 female) gives the following results:

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 103%.
Recommended water change schedule: 25% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 82%

Would you guys think that's ok to do? From what I've read Guppies seem to play nicely with the other fish I'm looking at, of course I'll make sure to get all the levels correct first and (after cycling) slowly introduce them all.

The filtration capacity on that would make me a little nervous, although it wouldn't be impossible to manage. You would have to REALLY stay on top of water changes, which would be a fair amount of work. Alternatively, you could upgrade your filter.

From what I've read changing pH is bad idea. I stable pH that is sub-optimal is better than one that is ideal but fluctuates. Stick to your pH.

Do not use a chemical pH modifier!!! This will cause swings in pH. I stable pH thats a little too high is better than one which fluctuates regularly.

In my opinion dwarf gouramis are too much of a heart breaker due to dwarf gourami disease. See if you can get hold of a thick lip gourami! Theyre generally considered the most peaceful gourami. They look fab too!

I also think that cardinal tetras are an expensive risk in your tank parameters. They tend to thrive in soft acidic conditions.

Its also worth bearing in mind that a slightly less delicate strain of cory will probably fair better in your tank too: if you want cheap then go bronze or albino. If you fancy something a little more expensive then go Sterbai.

Sterbai cories will also tolerate the high temperatures better.

So centrepiece fish: check
Obligatory cories: check

Finally the middle swimmers. In your tank parameters you are a little restricted here if you dont want guppies (probably wise with a gourami) or other livebearer.

Cherry barbs will do just fine. 2 males and 6 females will work well, and they shouldnt nip at the gourami.

And now for a suggestion you may not have thought of...

6 cooler water corydoras like peppered, and then 8 odessa barbs. Seriously beautiful active fish. Not tthe most common fish to find in your store though. Dont be put off how the babies look. They grow into pretty chunky fish with amazing red and silver colouration. Your tank would then be best at 21-22 degrees centigrade

Wow, thanks for that detailed post Marnold! Very helpful and exactly the kind of thing I was after!
Thanks Kyrenora, I think I'll stick to less fish for now. Maybe I'll look at getting a second filter some time in the far future :)
I'll stay away from the chemical pH stuff like the plague!

Those thick lip gouramis look really cool and I've immediately fallen in love with the odessa barbs! Guess I'll have to do some digging or see if one of my local shops can get hold of some for me. I think I prefer the Sterbai Cories over the peppered.
So based on your suggestions, what do you think of this?

Center piece: 1 Thick lip Gourami
Middle: 8 Odessa barbs
Bottom: 6 Sterbai Cories

Hmm, plugging that into AqAdvisor I get a bit of a low filtration rate. Might it be better to leave off the center piece for the moment until I get another filter or possibly a bigger tank (not anytime soon sadly)? They don't actually have the Thick lipped listed so I used the banded Gourami as a stand in as that seems similar.

Another note, my testing kit arrived yesterday so I'll check my ammonia and pH properly today and update here.

Thanks to everyone for the help so far, it's been great!

A note - aqadvisor is not a particularly good site to use for stocking advice.

There are far too many variables and factors to take into consideration for anyone's tank and set up so therefore advice given by such sites are likely to be innaccurate on so many levels.

Always best to ask experienced members what may work best for your tank. So please do not rely on that particular website.

One other thing, adjusting or altering ph is not recommended simply due to the likely fluctuations and the dangers of potentially crashing your water parameters. Adding chemicals is a recipe for disaster imho.

Only after MUCH research and gained advice should you even begin to consider adjusting ph levels. Not recommended for the inexperienced keeper to try this.

MUCH easier, cheaper and always best to find fish species that suits your water parameters rather than trying to adjust water parameters to suit your fish species ;)

Thanks Ch4rlie. Exactly why I didn't dissappear after finding out about it ;) using it as a loose guide to (hopefully) help guide my questions a bit.
I appreciate all the advice given here and am taking it on board as much as possible!

Yes, its good you're doing the research and asking advice BEFORE any further.

Nice one :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back