Cheapest Live Food to Culture at Home

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nanoinmiami

Reaction score
Dear all,

In your opinion what is the cheapest and easiest way to grow live food at home.

While I want to feed my adults and juvies the best, buying frozen and freeze dried foods is getting prohibitively expensive. Also, there are myriad methods and techniques on the web with no clear answer.

I was hoping to get a blackworm culture going in the backyard, but much too warm in South Florida for that.

Any suggestions?

Thank you all as always.

The cheapest, easiest, most fool proof live food culture is micro worms. You can feed the micro worms to new fry and once the culture starts getting old and you are forced to start a fresh one, simply leave the lid cracked open on the old one so fruit flies can get in. They love to lay eggs in micro worms cultures. Use the larger magotts to feed adults and juveniles and/or capture flies and freeze them for future snacks.

i have found that the cheapest and easiest way to cultivate live food. especially in hotter areas was is to leave a bucket full of water and a banana peel(it provides food for lave) outside. alll kinds of water bugs will quickly inhabit it from water lice to mosquito lave. this is nice because each species of fish can be picky and it is super easy to grab a net full of bugs at feeding time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back