Chasing Gourami :-(

Stephanie87

Reaction score
hii!!

Ive got two honey gouramis. the one is ALOT bigger than the other and hes started chasing the little one :-( So the little one spends all day hiding and doesn't seem to get any food either as the big eats it all.

What shall i do??? :-(

thanks
steph x

considering the size difference, are you 100% sure they are both honey gourami? Maybe the larger one is a red robin dwarf gourami or a similar colour morph?

have you got a picture of the fish?

Hi Steph

I had this problem with my pearl gouramis. Do you know teir genders? I had one male and one female. They were a right nightmare. I went and bought what I thought was another female but turned out to be another male. This has plain confused the original big male and he just leaves the other two alone now. I believe the rule of thumb is one male to two female. Just like at home - having two ladies in the house confuses the heck out of me and I just go and watch my fish :good:

I was told when i bought them that they were both honey gouramis....ones a yellow honey and ones a red honey.
I just found out that red honey gouramis are actually cross breeds between yellow honeys and dwarf gouramis??? i dont know how true that is. but perhaps that's one of the reasons they weren't getting on?

the yellow is a female, and I don't know how to tell with the red one?

anyway, I ended up taking the red one back to the shop as I caught him fin nipping as well! exchanged him for a yellow honey (female), so fingers crossed this time!

thanks for your help!! xx

The same happened with my kissers, so I separated them about 2 months ago, taking the bigger one out of the tank for a few days when I put him back in they were best of friends and still are.

I just found out that red honey gouramis are actually cross breeds between yellow honeys and dwarf gouramis??? i dont know how true that is. but perhaps that's one of the reasons they weren't getting on?

Not at all. Red Honey Gouramis are simply a colour morph of the normal honey gourami.

if i was you id get another yellow femail so it confuses the red gourami

I have one male Dwarf Gourami and 3 females...I've called the male 'Elvis' (King of the Tank!) he chases the females a bit, they are quite territorial the males...but my girls have sussed him out I think and they just swim off when he starts...and swim straight back so they are not fazed by him at all.

How big is your tank I wonder? do they have room to get away from each other? I see you have changed the culprit anyway so I hope all is peaceful in your aquarium now....

Thanks! I returned the culprit to my local fish store and all WAS peaceful......until I added a cheeky white tip tetra. He's just as bad! :-(

I have one male Dwarf Gourami and 3 females...I've called the male 'Elvis' (King of the Tank!) he chases the females a bit, they are quite territorial the males...but my girls have sussed him out I think and they just swim off when he starts...and swim straight back so they are not fazed by him at all.

How big is your tank I wonder? do they have room to get away from each other? I see you have changed the culprit anyway so I hope all is peaceful in your aquarium now....

Most reactions

trending

Back