Changing Water In My Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tetz19

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's my first time setting up a planted fish tank. I placed 7 guppies in a 3 gallon tank with aerator only after 10 days the water went murky so, I installed a water filter. I plan to clean up the whole tank tomorrow changing the water because the stones at the bottom are looking really dirty. Any suggestions on how I should go about it?

Also...
I noticed one of my guppies have the gravid spot and her belly is big. She isolates herself from the others and swims mostly at the bottom. So, I decided to separate her from a tank, I put her in a fish bowl with an aerator. Is it safe? She is still there at the moment. 

Hope you can help me! Thanks a heap!

Hello, how long have you had your tank?, is it cycled meaning all the levels are at 0 and the nitrates under 20?
It's really hard to understand but once you do you will understand why, tropical fish also need a heater you have one?
Give me more details and I'll try help you

Hi! I've had the tank for only 10 days, I haven't checked the cycle yet.. can you tell me how (sorry I'm really a newbie at this and super clueless). I'm located in the Philippines and our climate is pretty warm, do you think I should still get a heater still? Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. 

The nitrogyen cycle it's really hard to understand but when you do it's easy, you can buy luqid test kits to check the levels
But firstly
Fish produce poo and waste which causes ammonia in the tank , which at an level kills the fish you can tell this if there face is all swollen up and red (gills)
But then you have another bacteria that forms to kill the ammonia, so say you have 1ppm ammonia in your tank the nitrites should start forming lowering the ammonia but nitrites are also harmful to fish so when the tank learns to proccess ammonia to nitrites it then has to learn to process nitrites into nitrates which is good for the fish on a level under 20 when your readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate under 20 your fish are safe to be in a healthy water tank & don't mean to dig but 3 gallon is tiny and is usually used for just one beta fish (I know it's shocking)
It's easiest to get a sticky thermometer for your tank to know the temp if it's around 25 it's safe
I'm from the uk and weather is freezing so I certainly nee a heater but I think tanks can be kept at a steady room temp if its stable

I see. Hope I can find a test kit like that in our local pet shop, ours is just a small town. About the size of my tank, I agree, I have read about the 1" = fish 1 gallon rule. I'm still looking to upgrade into a bigger tank. I'll try changing 25% of the water a week and see how it goes. I also have read somewhere that my tank should not be in a place where it can get direct sun light, and my tank is currently by the window.. lol! I guess I have found out the cause of the algae. Gosh! this is a mess... you see the guppies are gift from a friend and I really don't know what to do with them. Good to know there are experts such as yourself! Thanks a million. 

No problem, I'm far from an expert though ;-), I just learnt the hard way, tbh my fish died when my tank wasn't cycled that was learning the hard way haha and really? I have both my tanks in sunlight I'm sure it helps with breeding not sure on that one sorry but my fish are ok now
Algae is usually a good sign in cycling usually means things are processing good

At the moment you'll need to be doing more than 25% water changes every week.

That's because your filter isn't 'cycled'; that means it doesn't have those good bacteria living in it that will eat the poisons from the fish's urine and faeces for you.

Until you can get some test kits (or, if you can't get any, every day for the next six weeks), you'll need to change nearly all the water, every day.

Drain the tank right down, leaving just enough water for the fish to swim upright, before refiling with warmed, dechlorinated (if you have chlorine in your tap water; most places do) water.

Borngemini said:
No problem, I'm far from an expert though ;-), I just learnt the hard way, tbh my fish died when my tank wasn't cycled that was learning the hard way haha and really? I have both my tanks in sunlight I'm sure it helps with breeding not sure on that one sorry but my fish are ok now
Algae is usually a good sign in cycling usually means things are processing good
 Hope none of them would die.
noexpression.gif
  I'm starting to like taking care and learning from them. Is that for real? the existence of the algae is a good sign.. hmm.. and I thought they would kill my fishes.

Speaking of breeding, any idea how long does a guppy stay pregnant before she gives birth? I have one and isolated her on a fish bow (i don't have another tank yet 
noexpression.gif
 ) hope she makes it..

fluttermoth said:
At the moment you'll need to be doing more than 25% water changes every week.

That's because your filter isn't 'cycled'; that means it doesn't have those good bacteria living in it that will eat the poisons from the fish's urine and faeces for you.

Until you can get some test kits (or, if you can't get any, every day for the next six weeks), you'll need to change nearly all the water, every day.

Drain the tank right down, leaving just enough water for the fish to swim upright, before refiling with warmed, dechlorinated (if you have chlorine in your tap water; most places do) water.
Is that so? Good thing I had my brother fetch some water from a deep well earlier. Thanks a bunch, I will certainly do that. However, I am concerned that the guppies would get stressed with all the activity wouldn't they?

The guppies might get a little bit stressed from the water changes, yes; but they'll be even more stressed by swimming around in poisonous water,which could make them very sick or even kill them.

If you're using water from a well, then you don't need to worry about chlorine; just make sure the temperature is about the same as the old water :good:

Borngemini said:

Does it?

fluttermoth said:
The guppies might get a little bit stressed from the water changes, yes; but they'll be even more stressed by swimming around in poisonous water,which could make them very sick or even kill them.

If you're using water from a well, then you don't need to worry about chlorine; just make sure the temperature is about the same as the old water
good.gif

Oh I see! Yeah that makes sense... I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks so so so much! 
winner.gif

You're very welcome :)

the_lock_man said:

Does it?
Well it's a sign of something isn't it?
Maybe I got a little confused but I'm sure the day my 2 tanks finished cycling I had a brown algae did a water change and it went and my tank stayed steady
Just speaking from experience maybe it was unlinked
But I'm pretty ure algae is a sign of nitrates?

Guppies will give birth every 28 days. I have had them go as early as 25 days, as late as 32 days. Guppies do need, filter, a heater, and a air stone of some sort. I use sponge filters on all my tanks. They are cheaper and better for fry tanks in my opinion. The bigger the better for size of tanks. My grow out tanks are 10g, my female tank is a 30g and my male tank is a 45g. I also have a 55g for my show tank.
Good luck with your adventure.

Sherry1966 said:
Guppies will give birth every 28 days. I have had them go as early as 25 days, as late as 32 days. Guppies do need, filter, a heater, and a air stone of some sort. I use sponge filters on all my tanks. They are cheaper and better for fry tanks in my opinion. The bigger the better for size of tanks. My grow out tanks are 10g, my female tank is a 30g and my male tank is a 45g. I also have a 55g for my show tank.Good luck with your adventure.
Couldn't explain it better

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back