Changing substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NLindsey921

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My plants are not completely rooted yet after switching everything to a ten gallon from a five gallon (including the gravel). However the gravel is full of them nasty detritus worms and I've read the only way to completely get rid of them is to change the substrate. I've wanted to do this for awhile but was not sure of how to do it without disturbing the fish too much. Plus I would like to switch over to sand instead of gravel. Does anybody have any tips on how to do this?

Also while doing this I will probably be getting rid of my Amazon swords and replacing them with something smaller. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

even changing the substrate probably will not get rid of them,

only way to guarantee it would be to empty the tank and let everything dry out for a few weeks,

also, there is a lot of beneficial bacteria in the substrate, you would be removing all of that.....not good....doing so may cause your tank needing to be cycled again

I've read conflicting opinions on that fact. Some people believe that as long as I leave the filter media intact I shouldn't have to completely cycle the tank. I might have a mini cycle but it should only last a few days and with so many plants I might not have one at all.

I've read conflicting opinions on that fact. Some people believe that as long as I leave the filter media intact I shouldn't have to completely cycle the tank. I might have a mini cycle but it should only last a few days and with so many plants I might not have one at all.

This is something I concur with. As long as you hav a filter that has been runing for some time and the tank has been cycled and running for while as well means that the filter media will have lots of the beneficial bacteria thats needed.

Plus the fact that having a number of plants will also help with the ammonia / nitrite levels as well does indeed contribute to this.

So changing the substrate can be done wihtout having to worry too much about the cycle provided the filter and plants are left alone and not cleaned. Amini cycle MAY occur but as long as keeping an eye on water parameters and if needed, a water change will help lower levels until things stabilise once more.

Changing the substrate is a messy job no matter how it is done to be honest.

There are several methods to doing this, such as moving the fish and shrimps etc to a temporary tank or container that has a heater and filter at least and then doing the changeover of substrate in the tank you want to do. That way theres less stress but having said that, moving fish and shrimps is very stressful for them anyway!

Another method, this is what I have done in past with small tanks as 10 gals, is to use the syphon hose and bottle method.
(You may do this if the gravel is small and light thats best, but if large gravel then would not recommend this.)

Remove the plants and put in some tank water in a container, then remove an area of gravel substrate via syphon hose into a bucket or container, keeping a close eye on the water level and end of syphon hose to ensure no fish or shrimps gets sucked up as you do this, then to replace the substrate using the bottle method, fill up a clean plastic 0.5l or even a 1l bottle with the sand you want (remember to rinse off the sand well before adding to tank) and simply fill the bottle sand and top up up with water then turn bottle directly upside down in area where substrate was removed to let the sand fall out, (this has a couple of benefits as it will not create such a mess and will at same time suck up any dirty water) once sand is out of bottle then quickly turn bottle right way up and out of tank, a little practice makes this method worthwhile doing.

This may require several times to remove all the substrate and adding of sand to your satisfaction. This method is not really worth trying on larger tanks than 10gals as it would require a lot more time and work etc.

Really, its down to a preference as well as how much you want to do with the tank with which method you want, the moving of fish to another temporaray home gives you more time to set up the tank exactly the way you want things and moving and replanting the plants and decor means you won't worry so much. The syphoning of gravel and adding sand via bottle is quicker but mistakes can be easily made and potentially more stressful to the fish.

But whichever method you try, do ensure you fill the tank with clean dechlorinated, temperature matched water.

Do be aware whichever way is stressful to the fish and shrimps so take your time doing this and do not do fast or jerky movements to further spook them out.

Thanks for your assistance. What I am thinking of doing after more reading is taking about half the water and putting it in one bucket. Put my neons and shrimp in the bucket. Then have a two gallon tank set up as quarantine with a cover of some sort for my GOURAMI just to make sure he don't jump. Then I would have another bucket to put the gravel in as I remove it. Once all is removed I will take it and dump it in my yard. Then I will add the sand and rearrange the plants and hard scape to my liking after doing a quick wipe down of the glass. I will fill in with declorinated water and let it run for about thirty minutes or so with the heater and check temp and parameters. If fine I will then move the fish over starting with the shrimp and neons. If they are ok then I will finally move my GOURAMI back over.
What do you think?

Thanks for your assistance. What I am thinking of doing after more reading is taking about half the water and putting it in one bucket. Put my neons and shrimp in the bucket. Then have a two gallon tank set up as quarantine with a cover of some sort for my GOURAMI just to make sure he don't jump. Then I would have another bucket to put the gravel in as I remove it. Once all is removed I will take it and dump it in my yard. Then I will add the sand and rearrange the plants and hard scape to my liking after doing a quick wipe down of the glass. I will fill in with declorinated water and let it run for about thirty minutes or so with the heater and check temp and parameters. If fine I will then move the fish over starting with the shrimp and neons. If they are ok then I will finally move my GOURAMI back over.
What do you think?

I don't know about that bottle method, but when I switched to sand for my tank this is what I did. I placed all the fish in a bucket with an air stone and heater and placed my filter in a second bucket with tank water and let it keep running. Removed ALL the plants and decor. I took an unused dustpan I bought from the store (the short kind you use by hand) and used it to scoop out the gravel in large quantities. After disposing of the gravel I emptied the tank of a majority of its water. I then took to the task of rinsing out sand in a bucket for loose dirt and the like before adding it to the tank. At this stage I did not worry about treating the water as I dumped in the sand WITH the water. I waited until I had the amount of sand I wanted and began to rapidly fill the tank with water straight from the tap. I then added my water conditoner to the main tank (with a little extra to be safe) and stirred up the sand as I did so.

After an hour of waitng for the water to match temperatures I readded the decor and plants, my filter, and in went the fish. My cordyora settled down on the bottom and quickly took to their new substrate!

Changing to sand is going to be a messy process no matter what you do, just make sure you think your process out before hand to save you time and stress. As for the above person's post that you need to let your tank dry out for weeks to get rid if your worms.... well thats not true. If you have the space (usually done easier in the tub) you can always take this opportunity when you empty your tank to bleach it. Basically fill it all the way with tap water in the tub and then add simple chlorine bleach. DO NOT use anything other than REGULAR BLEACH. I find nothing lives through a good soak of bleach and scalding hot water. It would probably help of you clean your decor (not your plants) in a diluted bleach treatment as well. Make you sure thoroughly rinse your tank and decor once this is done. Don't worry about excess bleach as well, because extra water conditioner when you refill the tank will remove/nuetralize and remaininng traces.

Sounds like I need to make a run to dollar tree. Lol. Was planning on completely emptying the tank either way. All my decor currently Jas plants attached to it so that's a no go to cleaning them with bleach but I can for sure bleach the tank. I just need to get two more buckets. One for decor and plants, one for fish, one for changing substrate. I have one bucket already that I use for normal water changes.

Is it safe to leave a gourami in a bucket that long or do you think he would jump? Or eat the neons that I have in the bucket with him?

Having changed over the substrate in my 8 tanks to sand, I would recommend that you use a temporary aquarium (rather than a bucket or whatever) for the fish. This is far less stressful than even the bucket. Empty 10g tanks are not expensive.

Siphon water from the existing tank (from the top, so as to get nothing else) to fill the TT (= temporary tank) about 2/3. Move over the filter and heater. Net over the fish. Add fresh water (conditioned) to fill the TT as much as you want it--remember, all fish are prone to jumping in such conditions, so I would cover the TT as best you can with the tank cover from the existing tank or a piece of glass.

Now you can take your time. Dump the gravel and thoroughly clean the tank. Add your play sand, rinsed (it is impossible to get it really clean, doesn't matter, it is just dirt). I would not bleach anything, as décor items will be covered with good bacteria. Keep them wet (I usually put all this, and the plants floating, in the TT).

When you have the sand in and you acquascape the tank, fill with fresh water (conditioner added). Move heater and filter over. When you are ready to move the fish, if your tap water and tank water parameters (GH, KH, pH) are reasonably the same, you can just net the fish over. Make sure the new tank is the same temp or a tad warmer, but never cooler than the TT.

I do not have space for another ten gallon at the moment. I have an extra five gallon but not sure where I can safely put it during all this. That's why I was gonna do the bucket. Bucket is plastic and will not break easily. I can set it on the floor in the corner of my room and cover it with a towel while changing everything.

I do not have space for another ten gallon at the moment. I have an extra five gallon but not sure where I can safely put it during all this. That's why I was gonna do the bucket. Bucket is plastic and will not break easily. I can set it on the floor in the corner of my room and cover it with a towel while changing everything.

It is only temporary. I would keep it up off the floor though, as it is easier to siphon out. Any temporary support that is strong enough will do. And you could do this with the 5 gallon tank anyway. It is always good to have a "spare" tank so this one is only for use at times like this, not permanently set up. Believe me, it makes the whole job much easier, knowing the fish are in a temporary tank.

I guess I could try the five gallon. The sand will not be here until next week anyway so that gives me time to get my glowlights healed so I can move the quarantine tank and set the five gallon up right there. If it fits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back