Changing Substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bunchbro84

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I need help to know how to switch from gravel to sand. I have an aquarium starter kit ten and have loaches that would seem to like sand better. The kitv has a power filter and i know a plan to make it work out. Just need to know how to swith gravel and sand without relocating my fish. Please respond before this weekend, i may do it this weekend if possible. Also I want to use store bought sand so no suggestions for play sand please.

Its really advisable to take the fish out of the tank whilst you do this. One of the guys on here did something similar and by replacing the substrate, kicked up a lot of nasties in it that killed off some of his fish.

Its really not worth the risk of doing this with the fish in if you want my advice.

I agree. I've changed substrate with the fish in and it was a nightmare! Even if you're really good at gravel cleaning, you still won't believe how much gunk is trapped down there!

Your fish will be fine in a bucket or storage box for the few hours it'll take you. If you can run your heater and filter in there as well even better, but it's not essential. Keep the bucket/box covered with blankets or towels to keep them warm and dark (to reduce stress) and you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd agree,i changed the substrate in my 200L last year. I left the fish in, they weren't happy and it made the water very murky for a bit. I also changed the substrate in my 60L, put the fish into a 40L bucket for a couple of days which gave the sand a chance to settle without stressing the fish out.

Thank you for posting this. I am thinking of doing the same thing! Good luck with your switch!

I did the same last weekend, changed from multicoloured gravel to black gravel... Definitely take the fish out of the tank, the water gets incredibly cloudy and surely cannot be good for the fish. I bought 2 flexible rubber buckets and had them in there for a few hours while I was doing the swapover, they seemed pretty happy.

Cheers,
Indy

Thanks. I don't think it will take hours though! It is only a ten gallon and will only take me an hour at the most. Will 8 fish do fine in a 5 gallon bucket for a while and should i put the gravel in the bucket. I will probably do a water change and gravel vaccum before so i can reduce the amount of gunk that remains in the tank. I have an hob filter  so i will just put the bio media in the bucket with the fish. Also i will pit the ornaments in the bucket so the benefricial bacteria doesn't die

Don't bother putting the gravel in the bucket, no.

Do it (roughly!) this way; Switch off your electrics!, then syphon off some clean water into your bucket. Take out your plants and decorations and put those in the bucket as well. Now catch your fish; it should be easier now the tank is empty. Put them in the bucket, and cover it up with a towel. If you have a spare container, then put your filter media in there; if not, leave it in your filter; HOBs should stay full of water (hope I'm right!), even when the tank is empty.

Then take out the rest of the water (and gunk!) and give the tank a quick wipe around. Now add your well rinsed sand; do make sure it's well cleaned, or it will cloud your tank. Then add your plants/decorations back, the water from your bucket and the fish.

Then top up with temperature matched, dechlorinated water, switch your electrics back on and you're done :)

If you rinse really thorough and place the sand in carefully, will it be less murky because i don't want to stress the fish out too much. I wanna vbe very cautious.

do you pour the water back over a plate so it doesn't cloud? and here is my plan:

first i will rinse it very well so it won't cloud as much
next i will put the rinsed sand in a container
then i will gravel vaccum the water into the bucket. ( i have used the fish net and rubber banded it to the end of the siphon so it catches all the gunk and lets the non gunk water through)
After that i will put all the ornaments and stuff into te bucket with clean water.
Finally i will remove the gravel, put the sand in, let it settle, put the ornaments back in, and then add the fish and the water

Sounds good, although as you're removing the gravel anyway, I wouldn't bother to gravel clean it; just syphon some clear water from the top of the tank into your buckets :)

Is it ok if there is still gunk in the water
I will try and syphon at least 4 gallons to make sure there is room

Today I finished the substrate change. I chose white desert play sand and the loaches really like it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back