Changing Of The Shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So my RCS community is getting large. I am going to move them from my 10G to one of my 20G longs that is currently empty. My issue is all of the babies in the tank. I guess I will have to leave both tanks running for awhile to be sure I don’t miss any babies. Anybody ever done this and have other suggestions?

All you can do is move the adults and then wait for the babies to grow up and move them out when you can catch them.

You can try using a syphon hose to suck out some of the young but you never get them all.

If you remove most of the plants and leave a clump of Java Moss in the tank, the babies will hide in that and you can put an icecream container under the moss and lift the whole lot out and wiggle it about in the bigger tank so the babies drop out. Then put the Java Moss back in the small tank for 24 hours and repeat the process.

I knew there had to be a trick! Great idea. Already have the moss on the log and they love to hang out in it. Thanks, Colin for another great idea,

I just found a You Tube video that explains how to make a shrimp trap. You simply take 2 plastic water bottles and cut the neck of one bottle off about 2 - 3” below the neck. Then cut the the bottom off the other bottle and invert the neck of the first bottle inside bottle #2. The shrimp can’t get back out. When ready, pull the bottle up and transfer to new tank. Simple unscrew top of end with neck and pour shrimp in. How cool!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 140

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back