Changed To Sand From Gravel, A Few Urgent Questions...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

driger8642

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So, I just changed to sand from gravel and I must say, my corys seem to love it..

*I just added the sand 1 day ago*
*I rinsed out the sand twice before adding it in the tank*

- The sand seem to have two layers in it.... the bottom one seems dark black with no air pockets while top one is lighter black with air pockets ( I assume the air trapped makes it looks like different shades of black).

- There are tiny sand balls that are (I think) compacted into a ball with air aka sand bubble. These things are on top of the sand layer and some (like 3-4) on top of the tank.

- I researched on the net and found that I have to run my fingers in the sand (gently) to release the air pockets..... well that just seem to make more of those sand bubbles

Should I be worried about these? Any way to get rid of them? Did I not clean the sand properly??

*Attaching pictures, hope you can see the 2 layers I'm talking about*
*Had to cut up the picture to meet the 300kb requirement*

20150928_170736.jpg

20150928_170718.jpg

The dark/light difference shown in the second photo is due to the light and nothing to worry about.

As for the air, I would break the bubbles up as much as you can in the sand layer.  I've never noticed this with my play sand substrates (when new), and air bubbles (CO2 mainly) in new tanks is common.

Byron.

Byron said:
The dark/light difference shown in the second photo is due to the light and nothing to worry about.

As for the air, I would break the bubbles up as much as you can in the sand layer.  I've never noticed this with my play sand substrates (when new), and air bubbles (CO2 mainly) in new tanks is common.

Byron.

Well I really hope the bubbles wont be toxic to the fish, I will try to break them up as much as I can, but even if I try to break them up, new ones form instantly...

driger8642 said:

Byron.

Well I really hope the bubbles wont be toxic to the fish, I will try to break them up as much as I can, but even if I try to break them up, new ones form instantly...

Is the sand some sort of plant enriched substrate?  These contain organics and obviously release CO2.  As I mentioned before, I've never had continuous bubbles on the substrate with play sand or gravel.  Air will be trapped within the substrate, and bubbles can rise from that.  But another thing is that bubbles in new tanks is very common, because of the CO2 in the tap water.  Even with my regular weekly water changes, some weeks the bubbles cover the walls, other weeks none at all.  I don't see these as problem issues.

Byron said:

Byron.

Is the sand some sort of plant enriched substrate?  These contain organics and obviously release CO2.  As I mentioned before, I've never had continuous bubbles on the substrate with play sand or gravel.  Air will be trapped within the substrate, and bubbles can rise from that.  But another thing is that bubbles in new tanks is very common, because of the CO2 in the tap water.  Even with my regular weekly water changes, some weeks the bubbles cover the walls, other weeks none at all.  I don't see these as problem issues.

Phew thanks a lot, now I can sleep in peace

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back