Change To Pool Filter Sand/silica Sand ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

awais394

Reaction score
Hi,

I have 110 liter tropical tank with Gourami, Tetras and Sword tails and thinking to replace gravel with the sand. Any advise which sand should I go for. I have did some research and confused about Play sand or Pool filter sand. If I should go for pool filter sand then where can I find it as i looked into B&Q and Homebase website but did not find it.

Please advise.

Thanks

best to buy it locally at a Pool and spa supply store---shipping a 50# bag would be very expensive---I have pool filter sand in my 29 gallon tank and the corys love it.  It is easy to see any detrius on the surface .  Another benefit is that is comes very clean and requires just a quick rinse of the sand in a bucket to remove any fine particles.

My only concern over pool filter sand is that it often is white, and this is not a good substrate for forest fish.  I changed from fine gravel to sand starting four years ago, and I used Quikrete Play Sand which I buy from Home Depot.  Lowe's I believe also carry it.  The play sand here in Canada is a mix that appears mostly dark grey, but some US members have mentioned it being more buff/tan, but that is fine.  I have this in six of my seven tanks now.

Detritus is almost invisible over this sand, which is I think what one wants.  The detritus easily breaks down into the sand very quickly, where the bacteria deal with it.

Play sand does take a lot of rinsing, but the effect is worth it; and it is only dirt, which will not cause issues anyway.  Plants grow well in it, substrate fish (I have corys, loaches and a few cichlids that feed from the substrate) like it, and it looks natural.  The sands in many Amazonian streams are nearly identical in appearance.

Byron.

Playsand is much cheaper - you can get a 15kg bag at Argos for under £5. It is really dirty though. You will spend a lot of time washing it; then more time getting frustrated because it still isn't clean and needs even more washing. You will spend considerably less time washing it, but that comes at a price. If memory serves it cost me £16 for 25kg on eBay.

I'd avoid getting sand from B&Q or Homebase. A lot of them seem to be either builders' sand (which is sharp) or is treated with chemicals. You might be able to use these without any ill-effects, but it's risky.

Not being in the UK, I am not familiar with the stores mentioned, but you do mention a very important point, about the roughness or sharpness of sand.  For substrate fish, this can be deadly.  Play Sand is made for kids to play in, and it is the most refined sand on the market (of the industrial types we are discussing here I mean).  You want to avoid paver sands and sands intended for concrete mixes and such, as they are not refined and are intentionally rough to bind together.

I don't worry about cleaning my play sand too much; it is only dirt and in the substrate rather useful.

I use play sand also, it's designed for children as Byron mentioned so there's no sharpe bits and more importantly is non toxic, there's a you tube clip that demonstrates a very clever way of putting in the sand with out rinsing it first by using a bottle..... I've talked about this on the forum before as I haven't tried it, but other members have said it does work.
I will find and post the link.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XB0bwtZh8

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back