🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, time to do a new journal as well as a new tank set up  
smile.png

First of all, I have bought a new 3 foot Clear Seal tank from eBay for the princely sum of £6.50 (about $10 US).

A bargain that I was very pleased about and it was a new tank still in the box!

Tank measurements are 36" x 12" x 15 " (L x W x H) equalling to 28 US Gals or 106 Litres.
In reality the water volume, once substrate, decor and plants have been added, this is a 25 US or 100 litre tank.

Pic of tank from eBay
Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 19.52.02.png

So, this is just the start, now the fun begins
wink.png

After a day moving furniture around to find a space to accommodate my new tank thats in best location to avoid sunlight and other issues.

Finally settled on a large sideboard cabinet and put next to my 10 gal tank.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:76340]

This works on many levels for us. This is where the dining table used to be, basically swapped places, this created much easier access to the tank as well as more floor space :)

Cleaned the tank out, looking pretty good if i say so myself
smile.png

SAM_1308.JPG

Next step is to sort the support of the cabinet tank is on, am worried the weight of tank when full of water, substrate and decor etc will make the cabinet bow since no support in middle section.

Got these little leg supports from Ikea, meant for computer desk top shelves, but very sturdy and perfect size and adjustable.

IMG_1336.JPG

Adjusting and positioning supports to height
IMG_1351.JPG SAM_1299.JPG

Barely visible when standing and looking directly at bottom of cabinet, am satisfied now.
SAM_1304.JPG SAM_1307.JPG

This gives great peace of mind for when I do actually fill the tank and set it up fully and knowing the cabinet will not bow under the weight :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! It's finally here! I will follow with interest. :ninja:

Good find with the supports - what a great idea!
Looking forward to seeing this tank progress!

I love seeing new tanks..so clean and shiny! Glad you'll have peace of mind now. I can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Lovely so far. I would also be worried about the wood the tank is actually sitting on. That may bow too. Are there any wood walls inside the cupboard to support the top of the cupboard? Nice position, looks lovely x

Thanks everyone, just hope I can do this journal justice and come up with a half decent looking tank
laugh.png

LilyRose Tank said:
Lovely so far. I would also be worried about the wood the tank is actually sitting on. That may bow too. Are there any wood walls inside the cupboard to support the top of the cupboard? Nice position, looks lovely x

I put the supports under the strongest section of the cabinet, there are two panels of wood running from top to bottom of tank as sides for the cupboards and shelves, so thats the support for the top section being supported from underneath.

No worries at all Jayne, thanks for the concern
wink.png

Have ordered a Fluval C3 HOB filter as well as a clear cover for top of tank, delivery any day now :)
Now just need to order some lights and substrate next.

But these may have to wait until I sell some surplus tanks and equipment i no longer use to raise a little cash, recycling
smile.png

Awesome gonna love this, what sort of stocking are you thinking of, is this the tank u where asking about CPD's also what sort of cover did u buy as If u remember for my 88l I had a plastic lid and that bowed in the middle now I don't bother with it can't wait to see this filled keep up the good work :)

Thanks everyone 
smile.png

Little update -

Finally have had my new filter delivered for this tank, 6 days late, but better late than never I say.

The box, this filter came from Germany, so everything is in German
laugh.png

C3 filter1.JPG

In bits, but looks fairly decent parts to me, just a case of figuring out how i want my filter media to be distributed.

C3 filter2.JPG

Looks good
smile.png

C3 filter3.JPG  C3 filter4.JPG

Not entirely satisfied with length of intake nozzle, may do a DIY intake nozzle so it reaches nearer the bottom of tank just above substrate ideally, and to fit a pre filter sponge as well.

C3 filter7.JPG

Not a bad fit widthways for the tank
smile.png

C3 filter8.JPG

C3 filter9.JPG

The only thing i didn't think of for this tank filter was the light, was planning on getting over tank T5 lights and fitting legs over the edge of tank at each end, but with this filter, means will be in the way of the legs for light unit.

May have to rethink things a little but am sure will think of something
laugh.png

But overall am fairly satisfied with this HOB filter, especially at the price i got this for, £33 including delivery from Germany. Am sure with a bit of DIY adjusting, will do the job just fine, and need to change the European plug for a standard UK 3 pin plug, filter is 230-240v so thats just perfect to do a straight plug swap
wink.png

Sorry it got there late but at least it got there! Looks nice too :) I'm sure you'll think of something for the lights.

Ja! Das ist sehr gut!!!  Ich freue mich für dich.  ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back