Celestial Pearl Danio(Galaxy Rasbora) Questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sharkydog

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Just a quick, two part question: In a 10 gallon [heavily planted] tank, will 3 female celestial pearl danios be okay (because I've seen that the males can be aggressive), and will they be harmonious with either a single male betta(assuming that the individual betta will not harass them) or with [3] pygmy corys?

CPDs need schools of 6 plus and so do the cories,also CPDS are pretty colorful and fast which would stress out the betta.

ncguppy830 said:
CPDs need schools of 6 plus and so do the cories,also CPDS are pretty colorful and fast which would stress out the betta.
Okay, but if I didn't put them in with the betta OR got another 10 gallon... Can I have JUST female CPDs(if I got 6+)? I'd rather not deal with the males since it seems like they are aggressive little buggers. So I am just wondering if they are going to be able to thrive and be happy without any males. Also, I wouldn't want them breeding, so there's that too.

Alrighty. It's just really hard to find information on them for some reason, even though they are supposedly good novice fish? Weird.. Anyways, thank you! :)

sharkydog said:
Alrighty. It's just really hard to find information on them for some reason, even though they are supposedly good novice fish? Weird.. Anyways, thank you!
smile.png
WAIT, you have to make sure there temperature is subtropical, so make sure the heater is adjustable.

Mine are doing great though they are in a 45 gallon, I've got 5 males and three females (bought young and had little colour at the time to judge their sex) they like temps of between 22-24 °C. They swim together most of the time and occasionally pair off and do a circulating courtship dance
smile.png
 My Betta is very placid though remaining very active and is quite content living with a variety of other species he did however seam quite intolerant for what ever reason of the Galaxy Rasbora though !

KirkyArcher said:
Mine are doing great though they are in a 45 gallon, I've got 5 males and three females (bought young and had little colour at the time to judge their sex) they like temps of between 22-24 °C. They swim together most of the time and occasionally pair off and do a circulating courtship dance
smile.png
 My Betta is very placid though remaining very active and is quite content living with a variety of other species he did however seam quite intolerant for what ever reason of the Galaxy Rasbora though !
:D that is so awesome! That gives me some hope that maybe I could TRY to see if my Betta can coexist with them at least! I just have a good feeling based off of how he interacts with my snail(and first interacted when the mystery snail got added to his tank, even though that's obviously not a fish) that he may do amazing with other fish. But I am really glad I joined this forum before I purchased either the CPDs or the corys because I was thinking I would be able to add twice as many fish to that 10 gallon than I thought. But anyways, I am really glad that to hear that your betta is doing so well!

And so also, in concern of the fact that you have males... You don't have a dominant one in the bunch that harasses the others(not like a courtship dance, but nipping and tearing each others fins and stuff)? That was the biggest thing I was finding on their temperament and behavior, and so I was a little concerned about having them ordered for me from my LFS and possibly not knowing their sex since they'd probably be young.

Again I must stress that my fish are in a tank that's over 4X the size of yours and even my very mild mannered Betta didn't get along with Galaxy Rasbora. I'd only suggest you try If you have means of re-homing should your trial with mixing fish that have possible aggressive tendencies fails, But I can say that never once have I witnessed any aggression between the male CPD against each other or against the females either and there is certainly no evidence of any damage from nipping, Same with my Cherry Barbs I again due to young fish not showing their true adult colour acquired 3 male and two female even though LFS staff member was convinced I'd got 2 males and 3 females, All get on just swimmingly well 
rolleyes.gif

KirkyArcher said:
Again I must stress that my fish are in a tank that's over 4X the size of yours and even my very mild mannered Betta didn't get along with Galaxy Rasbora. I'd only suggest you try If you have means of re-homing should your trial with mixing fish that have possible aggressive tendencies fails, But I can say that never once have I witnessed any aggression between the male CPD against each other or against the females either and there is certainly no evidence of any damage from nipping, Same with my Cherry Barbs I again due to young fish not showing their true adult colour acquired 3 male and two female even though LFS staff member was convinced I'd got 2 males and 3 females, All get on just swimmingly well 
rolleyes.gif
Oh geez, I feel like a dummy. I definitely read your other message wrong and read it as "my betta was quite tolerant of the raboras" whoops! Oh well! :) I might just have to save the galaxy rasboras for my next tank.

I have a mixed group of Cpd's & never witnessed the males being aggressive, yes they will posture & shoo each away when they're trying to impress the females but I've never had nipped fins & mine breed all the time.
As for keeping them with a Betta I'd say no as Bettas need high temps whereas the Cpd need it a lot cooler

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back