Catfish in the Discus Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KageBunshin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In about a week my discus tank will be almost complete (cycling and stocking). I was wondering if I could keep a group of cories in my discus tank I want to transfer my dojo from my goldfish tank to the discus tank too. Here are the parameters.

60 Gallon Bowfront
Temp: 86F
PH 6.2
GH: 3
Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites: Low (sorry cant get exact number)

Im am scared for the warm water. The discus are best kept in 86 but I dont know how Cories would fare. Also the Dojo is said to me a semi coldwater fish... would 86 F be too much for the little bugger?

Same questions for Otos. I need an algae team for my tank. I am very hesitant on plecos cuz of their tendency to suck discus slime... and my LFS do not sock BN Plecos.. :(. Will Otos be a good choice or algae eaters? Do the they have the same body sucking tendencies?

PS.
Look for future pictures under the picture forum!!

Hi KageBunshin :)

Most corys cannot be successfully kept with discus because the difference in temperature requirements is too great. There is an exception to this rule, however, and it is a beautiful one.

The C. sterbai is the cory that is most often kept in discus tanks. It will thrive in exactly the same water conditions, and I know of a case where they even spawned in them. :wub:

Here's a link with some more information for you:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ydora/316_f.php

Sterbai or Julli should be fine. Also ottos do well in discus tank, and a school of 12 -15 can look superb!

Maybe 8-10 corys and 10-12 ottos? How many discus are you planning on having? 4 would be about right in a 60G. Also the key thing for corys is oxygenation. If the water is well oxygenated then you shouldnt have too many problems. But bare in mind Discus can do fine in anything from 80-86, although if you want to breed them the warmer temperatures usually helps.

Ben

hmm They dont have Sterbais around here... What if i raise my discus in 82F... Could i keep some albinos or bronzes cories?

And what about my Dojo?

Thanks a lot for the responses.

Hi KageBunshin :)

No, bronze or albino (C. aeneus) corys just won't thrive in water that warm. They prefer cooler water and would probably do well with your goldfish instead.

There are almost 300 species of corys identified, and one of the fun things about having them is looking for them. Sterbais are popular and are often being tank raised now, so you will not have to wait for a certain season to get some. They are frequently available on AquaBid too. Here's a link to someone offering them right now:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auc...fish&1127003587

Since dojos are loaches, it might be best if you asked about them in the Cyprinids, Characins and Atherinids section. I'm sure you will get a good answer there. :D

Dang... My discus eat like 60 percent of the stuff I feed them. And the rest is fair game for any scavengers I plan to put in my tank. All I need now is some scavengers... Any suggestions?!?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back