Catfish has skin lesions and the skin is peeling off. Very worried.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Ok then I need to do a water change. Cause I miss read the bottle and added two pills instead of one. So I effectively doubled the recommended dosage

what are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

how much water is in the tank and what are the directions on the bottle?

Ten gallons in tank not sure of dimensions just a cheap Walmart tank. one pill per ten. Would transferring main tank water be good or should I treat some clean tap water and add?

The main aquarium has a slight ammonia issue at the moment. Itā€™s been reading .25 since this morning it was at .5 last night but with a 50% water change and some ammonia tabs it went down.

If the big tank water has medication or ammonia in it, then use mains water with a double dose of dechlorinator and aerate the new water for 30minutes before adding to the tank.

Add a bit of boiled water to the new water if necessary to get the temperature the same as the hospital tank.

Only change about 40% of the tank water and try to stir up any undissolved medication before doing the water change.

Ok I just double dosed the new bucket of water with conditioner and the air stone is in and pumping. After 30 minutes Iā€™ll add it to the tank with a small transfer pump. Also thank you for all the help.

What is the actual medication called and which company makes it?

What do the directions on the bottle say about retreating?
eg: 1 tablet per 10gallons every day, or something like that?

Thomas labs
Fish Mox Forte (Amoxicillin)
500 milligrams

One capsule for every 20 gallons. Repeat in 24 hours. Recommended partial water change between treatments. Use for a minimum of 5 days.

10 gallons or 20gallons?

you initially said 1 tablet per 10gallons but the directions are saying 1 for 20gallons?

I meant to say 1/2 a tab the directions say 1 full tab for 20. Iā€™ve been up for the past two nights trying to figure this out so my brain isnā€™t working like it should be. I accidentally without thinking added a full tab to the tank. I pulled about 60 percent of the water out for the change

I just transferred in the new water, the tank has a heater with an thermostat, and a air stone, the only extra filter I have is way to strong for the small tank, so I went ahead and prepped some new water and conditioned it for a partial Change in the morning after the water tests. I would really like to thank you, you have been a huge help, I couldnā€™t have made it through the night without the help from you.

Last edited:
you need to work out how much water is in the tank. If it is only 10gallons you only need half a tablet of medication.

Multiply the tank's length x width x height.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

There is a converter under the "How To Tips" at the top of the page that will let you convert the litres to gallons.

When you measure the height, only measure the height of the water, from the bottom to top of water level.

60% water change might have been a bit much. But at this stage I would leave it for 24 hours and see how the fish is going then.

Don't do any more water changes and no more medication until tomorrow. And get some sleep. If you are tired you could make another mistake with dosing the tank :)

Tomorrow before you retreat the fish, wipe the inside of the glass down, sides and base. Then do a 90% water change, then treat again.
Try to make up some water now and you can use it for the water change tomorrow.

Ok, you donā€™t have to tell me twice on the sleep. thanks again for all your help

Ok so the antibiotics seem to be working, but now Iā€™ve got an issue with his flipping over while sitting at the bottom of the tank. I checked the water on my lunch break and found the ammonia to be around 2ppm so I did a two water changes to keep it down, but my tap water has 1ppm of ammonia in it. I added some ammonia clear tabs to both the tank and the bucket of water Iā€™m aerating. Is there anything else I can do to remedy the situation. Iā€™ve been doing 90%water changes and a round of amoxicillin every day for three days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back