Cascade 80 Hob

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nordk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Cascade 80 HOB Filter

Summary

The Cascade 80 is a small HOB (Hang On Back) filter for 5-10 gallon aquariums. It is powered by a half inch diameter impeller and makes very little noise other than the sound of water falling over the edge of the waterfall outlet. The intake tube is telescoping, allowing it to extend between approximately 3 to 6 inches below the outlet, though over time mine has worn to the point where it will only remain fully extended or retracted. The filter comes with 2 carbon and floss cartridges, but no bio-sponge or other media. A sponge is available separately, and can be inserted in two ways, horizontally in the filter's collection pool, or by inserteing it onto a plastic frame (sold separately from both the sponge and filter) and sliding it into the vertical cartridge slot. I use the former method on my filter. Spare carbon cartridges come in packs of 3. Flow can be adjusted via a knob atop the intake tube. There is no power switch, it turns on when plugged in.

How long have you owned this product?

I have had this filter running constantly for the past 4 1/2 years.

Ease of Use

Upon startup, pouring water into the collection pool is required to start the filter. The spaces in the base of the intake tube are large enough to pull in smaller foods such as bloodworms, crushed flakes, and smaller pellets. Young fry also have the potential to fit through. Due to this, I have had to clean my intake tube every 4-6 months to remove small accumlations of decomposing food which will lessen the rate of flow slightly. Placing a stocking or similar material over the intake webbing or adding a sponge to the inside of the tube (do this with a slight amount of caution as the lower extendable section and cage-like cone of the tube are somewhat fragile) should prevent the need for cleaning the tube.

Pros
  • Easy to use and install
  • Simple design
  • Little to no maintanence
  • Fairly quiet
  • Adjustable flow rate
  • Relatively inexpensive
Cons
  • Does not come with appropriate media
  • Instructions call for media and cartridges to be replaced every few weeks
  • Slightly ambiguous instructions
  • Possibly fragile intake tube