Cardinals

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Nathannn

Reaction score
Anyone had any problems with aggressive cardinals? I had 3 Molly fry (almost 3 months old) in a 30 litre tank with 6 new cardinal tetra first 2 days were fine, went to work came home and there was only 1 Molly Iā€™ve searched the whole tank, removed all plants and decorations temporarily couldnā€™t find them, dismantled my filter and they hadnā€™t got stuck in there either, theyā€™ve just vanished into thin air it seems, canā€™t find any remains or anything

That would be very surprising indeed. Is there any way your Mollies could have escaped, or been asisted by a cat?At 3 months your molly fry would be about as long as the cardinals and likely heavier. I don't think there is any way 6 of them could possibly eat all the evidence in a day. Cardinals do eat live food - so any fry that is small enough to fit in their mouths would be seen as food, and that would be normal.

FWIW you wouldn't normally expect to see those two species together. Cardinals like soft, slightly acidic water which Mollies can't tolerate.

Hi, thereā€™s nowhere for them to have escaped that I can think, I checked all around the tank anyway and around the floor under furniture in case theyā€™d kind of flopped there way under something else, no cat in the house to take a swipe at them either, itā€™s a mystery.
My 1 remaining Molly fry is about as long as a tetra like you said and does look a bit beefier.
My water PH is 7 dead on so itā€™s at the top end of what cardinals like and bottom end of mollies

Hi, thereā€™s nowhere for them to have escaped that I can think, I checked all around the tank anyway and around the floor under furniture in case theyā€™d kind of flopped there way under something else, no cat in the house to take a swipe at them either, itā€™s a mystery.
My 1 remaining Molly fry is about as long as a tetra like you said and does look a bit beefier.
My water PH is 7 dead on so itā€™s at the top end of what cardinals like and bottom end of mollies

The GH is more important. What is the GH (general or total hardness) of your source (tap) water? And the pH (this will tell us if it is changing in the aquarium)?

AbbeysDad yes I know this, I think everyone thatā€™s ever had a fish knows this, but the Molly was pretty much the same size if not a tad bigger

AbbeysDad yes I know this, I think everyone thatā€™s ever had a fish knows this, but the Molly was pretty much the same size if not a tad bigger

No offense, you just can't tell from a post how long anyone's been in the hobby. I've been in the hobby for 50~ years, but folks might not guess that from a post or two.
I once saw a video of a bass that had partially swallowed an even bigger bass!
I guess 'his eyes were bigger than his stomach!'

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back