Cardinals hiding?!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dantheman1

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a new tank with Cardinal Tetra's. They seem very happy, playful and feed well. However, when it comes to water changes it becomes an absolute disaster. A few of them decide to bury themselves in the media and get stuck. On this occasion I had no choice but to remove them all from the tank in order to do a headcount and to find the missing fish.

What can it be and what can I do?

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10

Thanks,
Dan

What "media" are they getting buried in?

Please see attached.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0EE23F23-99FD-4233-9CB0-0873732AC688.jpeg
    0EE23F23-99FD-4233-9CB0-0873732AC688.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 142
What is that substrate? "Media" refers to filter media usually.

Apologies. I've been told it's called ceramic media?

That's fine, no problem. But I have no idea what this substance is, or intended for. Ceramic media usually goes in a filter like a canister. It should never be used as a substrate in the aquarium. Sand or fine gravel are OK for substrate. Plants root in these better, but more importantly they provide an ideal filter bed for all sorts of bacteria that are crucial to a healthy aquarium. The substrate is more important than the filter.

Back to your problem, I do not understand how cardinals can get stuck in this, but you need to remove it if they are. Removing the fish out of the tank is never a good idea unless it is essential, such as if you replace the substrate the fish should be moved to a temporary tank/container. But not otherwise; netting is very stressful on fish.

I would recommend you change the substrate to sand. Common play sand is good for this, I have it in all my 8 tanks.

Byron.

Apparently this is a substrate and supposedly 900g = the surface area of a football pitch. Bold claim!

The fish seem to intentionally dive into this, they then lose their colour. It's as if they're trying to hide.

Last edited:
Apparently this is a substrate and supposedly 900g = the surface area of a football pitch. Bold claim!

The fish seem to intentionally dive into this, they then lose their colour. It's as if they're trying to hide.

The surface area of porous media/substrate is significant, so this football field claim may be quite accurate. This is why we use porous media in filters, it provides an immense surface area and the microscopic bacteria colonize surfaces covered by water (they do not live in the water).

I would still remove this substrate if the fish are diving into it in any manner. This is not good. Play sand is your best bet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back