Cardinal tetra vertical swimming

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

candrews999

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all I hope you can help, I have recently added 6 cardinal tetra to my 55 litre tank. They were all doing fine for a couple of days but now one, the smallest, is spending most of his time swimming vertically at the top of the tank. He is able to swim down but only briefly. He's not feeding either. All the other fish seem healthy. Water parameters are perfect no2 0 nh3/4 0 no3 5. Any help very much appreciated

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

can you post a picture or short video clip the fish swimming unusually?

Are the other cardinal tetras skinny like the sick one or do they look like they have a normal shaped body?

If the other fish look normal and have nice shaped bodies, then the sick one could have gill flukes, worms and possibly even spironucleus. You could spend money trying to treat it but I don't think it will survive and you might be better off just euthanizing the fish.

Are the other cardinal tetras skinny like the sick one or do they look like they have a normal shaped body?

If the other fish look normal and have nice shaped bodies, then the sick one could have gill flukes, worms and possibly even spironucleus. You could spend money trying to treat it but I don't think it will survive and you might be better off just euthanizing the fish.
No they've got normal shaped bodies. Oh no really?? What's the best way of doing that [emoji17] first fish I've lost

Well I'll not be treating him just found him on the bottom [emoji17] Should I do anything for he other fish?
Thanks for your advice btw much appreciated

Here is a page I found before when I had to euthanise a sick tetra. I used the ice method as I had no anaesthetic and didn’t fancy the blunt trauma method

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/painful-fish-deaths-you-might-be-guilty

I chilled the water with ice and used a spare thermometer from an old tank to check I had to 2 degrees before putting the fish in. It was quick, Fish stopped breathing after about 10 seconds and hopefully the cold water numbed the nerves too

Here is a page I found before when I had to euthanise a sick tetra. I used the ice method as I had no anaesthetic and didn’t fancy the blunt trauma method

https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/painful-fish-deaths-you-might-be-guilty

I chilled the water with ice and used a spare thermometer from an old tank to check I had to 2 degrees before putting the fish in. It was quick, Fish stopped breathing after about 10 seconds and hopefully the cold water numbed the nerves too
Thank you poor little thing has passed away now...least he didn't suffer for long

For a start remove the dead fish to stop it rotting or others eating it. If it had a disease this will infect the others.

Do a large water change and inspect the dead fish for any signs of disease or abnormalities. If you find anything that doesn’t look right check the symptoms on google to compare against disease or post findings on here for others to look at.

After your water change just monitor the fish for a few days to check none of the others start behaving the same

For a start remove the dead fish to stop it rotting or others eating it. If it had a disease this will infect the others.

Do a large water change and inspect the dead fish for any signs of disease or abnormalities. If you find anything that doesn’t look right check the symptoms on google to compare against disease or post findings on here for others to look at.

After your water change just monitor the fish for a few days to check none of the others start behaving the same
Thank you couldn't see anything on the fish particularly although it was very thin! A large water change...50% or more?

Do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean each day for a week, then monitor the remaining fish over the next few weeks. Chances are the other will be fine.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.
--------------------
My personal choice for killing aquarium fish is to put them in a small container of aquarium water with an airstone bubbling away gently. Then add clove oil one drop at a time. Add 1 drop then water 30seconds before adding another drop. Wait 30 seconds then add another. After 3 or 4 drops (sometimes more) the fish rolls onto its side. Then stop adding clove oil, remove the airstone, and put the container of water (with fish still in it) into the freezer and leave until frozen.

The clove oil knocks the fish out (makes it unconscious) but does not kill it. However, it is asleep when being frozen. This is less stressful than dropping them into ice water and hoping they go into shock, and a lot less stressful than whacking them on the noggin.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back