Cardinal Tetra Vanished

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AngelsFTW

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ok so yesterday I had 4 cardinal, today only 3. I've looked everywhere but can't find the missing fish. Is it possible that my angels are starting to pick off the tetras?

Do you have a cover on the tank? Those tetras are jumpers you know...

Darthaus12 said:
Do you have a cover on the tank? Those tetras are jumpers you know...
My light hood covers most of the tank so I doubt they could jump out. I checked the stand and the ground around it and there's no dead fish. I did think of this cuz I have had a red fin shark almost die when jumping out. Luckily I saw it happen and was able to put him back lol

I have known of angel fish eating neons! Maybe the same has happened with your cardinal?

Most likely will be your angels eating the tetra.

Are the angels adults?

Do you still have the red finned shark?
Possible he may have eaten tetra if he's still in your tank.

What other fish have you got in same tank?

How big is your tank by the way?

If the angels are adult, and the cardinals are still fairly small, then it is definitely possible that the angels ate the cardinal. But fish are very good at hiding themselves away when they die, but their bodies are soon consumed by the other tank inhabitants. It's happened to pretty much every fishkeeper, I reckon.

Ch4rlie said:
Most likely will be your angels eating the tetra.
Are the angels adults?
Do you still have the red finned shark?
Possible he may have eaten tetra if he's still in your tank.
What other fish have you got in same tank?
How big is your tank by the way?
Yea the sharks still hangin in there. The angels are are around a year old and there r 5 of them. I also have 2 pearl gourami, 3 kissing gourami and 2 kribs all in a 55g.

Sorry in advance but this is probably going to be a bit of a negative post 
confused.gif

First off, need to be sure -

is this a Red Finned Shark - Leptobarbus rubripinna? 
Massive shark, no way suited for most home aquariums, definitely not for a 55 Gal tank......
Grows to 80 to 100 cm

or is it a Red Tailed Black Shark - Epalzeorhynchos bicolor?
Should be ok in a 55 US Gal tank but thats pretty much minimum size really IMO
Grows to 10 to 12.5 cm
Not very good in a community tank though, so need to be careful choosing tanks mates for this one!

Both are very different species, so be sure when you type species, so you know which fish you have in your tank.
That will avoid confusion in future for you and for us.

Angels .....5 of them, thats your tank pretty crowded and thats without the shark, gouramis, kribs and tetras............as long as your tank is over 55 cm in height, might be ok but.........

Keep an eye on your angels, they may start getting aggressive due to territoriality within each each other especially when they start to pair up....

And to answer your original post, my money is on the angels eating the tetra.....
Shark a close second.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back