What's new

Cardinal tetra and other tetras?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Classy

Reaction score
Hello, so I currently have about 19 cardinal tetras in my 180, and I'm going to get some more tetras. Can someone recommend me some other good tetras to keep with them, and be compatiable with my upcoming purchase of angelfish. Thanks

Im not sure if congo tetras would be aggressive? look into them and do some background research though.
Neon tetras would offer a nice Size difference in the one large school as well

Im not sure if congo tetras would be aggressive? look into them and do some background research though.
Neon tetras would offer a nice Size difference in the one large school as well
Would rummynose work?

It'd be a good idea to introduce the rummynoses first and let them gain them size before introducing the angelfish. but yes rummynose are ok with cardinals, angelfish im not sure about they may get eaten!

It'd be a good idea to introduce the rummynoses first and let them gain them size before introducing the angelfish. but yes rummynose are ok with cardinals, angelfish im not sure about they may get eaten!

Well I'm thinking about going to my petstore and get a new school of tetras tonight, and I really love rummynose. I wouldn't be ordering my angelfish for another 3 weeks though.

It makes little sense to be recommending fish without knowing anything about the water parameters or other factors. So, Classy...

Is this tank 180 liters or gallons?

What are your water parameters (GH, KH and pH) for your source water? You can ascertain these from your water authority if you don't already know.

Angelfish...do you know much about this species? How many are you intending? Will they be commercially raised, or wild caught (since you are ordering, either might apply)? Temperature becomes a factor depending.

Generally linear fish are not advisable with angelfish, so the disk-shaped characins work better. But the answers to the above questions will allow us to offer you better advice.

Byron.

It makes little sense to be recommending fish without knowing anything about the water parameters or other factors. So, Classy...
why so salty?
This is a very irresponsible comment
Congo Tetra
  • Scientific name: Phenacongrammus interrutpus.
  • Common name: Congo tetra.
  • Care-level: Easy-Medium.
  • Size: Males get to 3", females are a little smaller.
  • pH: 6.0-6.5.
  • Temperature: 75-81°F (24-27°C)
  • Water Hardness: Soft.
  • Origin/Habitat: Central Africa rivers and River Congo.
Neon Tetra
  • Scientific Name : Paracheirodon innesi.
  • Common Names : Neon Fish.
  • Care Level : Moderate - it's a good idea to stay on top of your water changes to prevent the nitrate levels from accumulating.
  • Size : Up to 1.5 inches (4 cm)
  • pH : 5 - 7.5.
  • Temperature : 69°F - 79°F (21°C - 26°C)
  • Water Hardness : 1° to 10° dH.
Cardinal Tetra
Minimum Tank Size: 20 Gallons (75 Liters)
Care Level: Easy
Water Conditions: PH 4.5-7.0 and Soft slightly acidic water
Temperature: 75-84°F (24-29 °C)
Maximum Size: 2 inches (5 cm)

Angelfish
Because angelfish can grow up to 6 inches long, these fish should be kept in a tank no smaller than 20 gallons in capacity – the bigger the better. It is also important to keep in mind that this species tends to grow tall rather than long, so angelfish prefer to be kept in tall tanks rather than wide ones. The recommended temperature range for this species is between 75 and 84F and the water should be slightly soft, between 5 and 18 dH. Because they are native to the Amazon River, freshwater angelfish prefer a slightly acidic pH between 6.0 and 7.5 and they enjoy a densely planted tank setup. This species is compatible with other community fish but they should not be kept with fin-nipping species or with very small fish that might become prey. You should also be careful not to overcrowd the tank because this could exacerbate aggressive or territorial behavior.

Other than the neon tetras possibly nipping, or becoming dinner if you go with them, I see no problem with the fishes compatibility's.

Last edited:
I don't know where the data on the species in post #7 comes from, but it has several inaccuracies. It is obviously one of the unreliable sites.

We'll be able to offer better advice when we know the info requested in post #6.

Can you correct me then? proof of how you know it isn't correct?

If you check reliable sites you will find the correct data on these species.

If you check reliable sites

What is your definition of a "reliable site?" im starting to think since its the only source you have in all of your postings (most) that its just anything you agree with.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back