Carbon Infused Filter Pads - Opinions/thoughts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mrstwalker

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was browsing amazon for some carbon pellets , and came across carbon infused filter pads that come in a large sheet and you cut to fit your filters. I was wondering if any of you have tried these and if it really works? If so that would be great because it would save me a ton of time rather than making my own carbon filter pads. 

Thanks!

As long as it is sponge-like and not a floss cartridge, I see no problem with it. Sponges last a lot longer than the floss ones in terms of providing good physical filtration.

I personally don't have carbon in my filter at all.

As you are aware, carbon needs changing every few weeks, else it loses its efficacy. Its primary use is to remove heavy metal pollutants. However, a decent dechlorinator (and a lot of rubbish ones ;) ) will remove low concentrations of those pollutants anyway, so under normal usage, there is nothing for the carbon to do.

Where carbon is a good idea is when you have dosed the aquarium with medication (many fish meds are based on heavy metals such as copper), and so I keep carbon in the cupboard ready for such a time. 

I would say the only circumstances where you would need to habitually use carbon is where you do not use a mains-fed water supply, but instead use a well (or similarly untreated) water which may have relatively high levels of such pollutants.

I agree, lock man. I have never used carbon in my filters and don't really have any issues.

I have used the carbon pads, did the job

the_lock_man said:
I personally don't have carbon in my filter at all.

As you are aware, carbon needs changing every few weeks, else it loses its efficacy. Its primary use is to remove heavy metal pollutants. However, a decent dechlorinator (and a lot of rubbish ones
wink.png
) will remove low concentrations of those pollutants anyway, so under normal usage, there is nothing for the carbon to do.

Where carbon is a good idea is when you have dosed the aquarium with medication (many fish meds are based on heavy metals such as copper), and so I keep carbon in the cupboard ready for such a time. 

I would say the only circumstances where you would need to habitually use carbon is where you do not use a mains-fed water supply, but instead use a well (or similarly untreated) water which may have relatively high levels of such pollutants.
I only use carbon filters to remove medication, sometimes after a water change to clear the water up faster and remove odor. I just like to have carbon on hand in I need to remove medication. In which case I normally make my own, but having the infused pads would be wonderful if they work just as well as filter pads with carbon pellets inside! :)
Gvilleguy said:
I agree, lock man. I have never used carbon in my filters and don't really have any issues.
I only use carbon filters to remove medication, sometimes after a water change to clear the water up faster and remove odor. :)
Alasse said:
I have used the carbon pads, did the job
Do you feel it worked as well as the carbon pellets?

Seemed to....i just like them because they arent as messy lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back