cappata leaves poisonous?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi i have a cappata leave in my tank and a friend of mine told me they are poisonous for guppies is this true? I am getting mixed info from googling the subject.

Indian Almond leaves, the leaves of the Terminalia catappa tree common in Asia, are often added to fish tanks for one or more of several reasons. I have never heard of them being poisonous to fish or invertebrates. They help combat fungus and bacterial problems, and release tannins.

Leaves must be dry before being added to the tank. But they are commonly used in fry tanks with no ill effects that I am aware of.

That is a very different issue from what I read your initial question to be, my apology. But the leaves are certainly not poisonous for fish, which was your question. They may however reduce GH and pH, which as I say is a very different issue.

Guppies like all livebearers occur naturally in moderately hard water having a basic pH (above 7.0). Dried leaves are organic, and like all organics (wood, peat, fish excrement, uneaten fish food, dead plant matter, dead fish) the decomposition of the organic matter adds acid which becomes carbonic acid which works to acidify the water and thus lowering the pH. However, the degree to which this occurs is governed by several factors.

Primarily, the initial GH, KH and pH of the water, as that linked article mentions. The higher the GH and kH, the less effect acidification will have on pH. But if your water is on the soft side, there is less "buffering" capability and the acidification can be more rapid.

You need to give us the GH, KH (Alkalinity) and pH of your source water, and the tank water (individually so we can see if anything may be impacting these now). [When testing tap water for pH, you must out-gas the CO2 first; this is not necessary with tank water. You do this by letting a glass of tap water sit 24 hours, or by briskly agitating it ion a covered jar.] Knowing these values will allow us to calculate what, if any, lowering there might be from the leaves.

Another factor is the number of leaves, i.e., the level of organics. The more leaves, the greater the impact obviously, though again the buffering of the GH/KH might counter this, depending. Other substances in the tank, like calcareous substrate, rock, etc, also factors in.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back