Can't find Pleco - 2 guppies dead

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Denise W.

Reaction score
I have a 29g. Guppies, tetras and barbs. Everyone swims in harmony. I also have a pleco.

I just lost 2 guppies. This is weird because my tank is stable. I have not been able to find the pleco in my tank in over 2 week. Today I took the ornaments out and he's not in any of them. He's got to be dead. But I can't find him.

Do you think his rotting body is harming the water and killing my fish?

It's possible, but they are very good at hiding; they even stay inside caves when you take them out of the water sometimes!

Do you not have test kits for your water? If not, you should think about getting some sooner rather than later; they really are an essential bit of kit for any fishkeeper.

Any time you've lost fish, or are worried about water quality, do a large water change, making sure the new water is temperature matched and dechlorinated, of course.

Take a flash light and look into the ornaments when you take them out next time, also check the filter box as they sometimes get in there. If he is dead then your guppies could of very well died from the ammonia released as the pleco decomposes. Just in case, I would do a big 50% water change and while your at it look into all the ornaments and filter.

Side note: might as well rinse the filter media in the old tank water as well, just don't chuck it in the garbage and replace anything, as you will lose your bacteria colonies.

I use tap water through a hose to blast stuff out of what cartridges I have left.

Bacteria is a lot tougher than most people think knocking the old weak ones off is probably good thing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back