The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Toney

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
032664495311.jpg

Was thinking about getting a ballast and just mounting the lamp hangers directly to the wood. Will that work?

I think 48" lights will just fit if the lamp hangers aren't too thick.

I got 3 1/2" clearance under the canopy.

Should I use one or two bulbs? Got some swords and ludwigia, mostly low tech.

You have to be a bit more patient Toney.

Have to remember this is a worldwide forum and lots of folks are on different timezones.

But as to your query if using ballast with what looks like T5 lamp fittings, will work perfectly fine as long as the ballast are suitable for the light wattage you want to use.

As for one or two tubes, this depends on how big and how deep your tank is, also will this be a high tech set up using Co2, ferts and root tabs etc?

If so then two tubes would be miniumum, but if its a low tech set up then one tube will be ok, just depends how dim or bright the tank you want it at. The higher the kelvin rating, the brighter and more intense the light will be.

One of my tank has 2 tubes and thats a low tech set up which i add ferts and root tabs but no co2. The tubes themselves are low wattage and if remember right one is about 6,700k and the other is normal daylight 10,000k. Those are T8 btw, so the light intensity is much less than those T5 tubes.

Am sure there are a few DIY threads about modifying light hoods to suit as many folks have done this modification to their tank light hoods when t5's came out also for those who want to convert to LEDs as well.

20160926_155003-1.jpg
I was thinking t8, was looking at the sun blaster with the t5 but was afraid of melting the center brace on my 55

Heck everything is growing using the Aqua Tech LED Hood.

Last edited:
That seems ok to me actually, if its working fine for you then would leave as is but T8's are good imho, thats if you can find the tubes and parts as these T8 parts are slowly being stopped in lots of LFS due to takeover of T5's and LEDs :(

Keeping things simple when it comes to lighting seems to work best for me ;)

20161109_194535-1.jpg
still just running the one bulb.

Thinking about overdriving it or installing a second bulb.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back