Canister filter - is it supposed to be like this?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ALL filters have their pros and cons, but I too like these HOB's as they're the easiest accessible filter there is.

With HOB's there's no need to worry about space in the cabinet for cannister, nor priming hell, or painful backs lifting the stupid things.

BUT for large tanks with heavy bioload stockings then nothing compares to cannisters. Really is the very best for this type of set up. Thats my opinion is all.

Internals have their place in aquariums and I find them a little bulky and takes up space inside the tanks but the Fluval U2 I have is actually pretty good. Does exactly what it says on the tine, does its job as its suppose to do. A good little backup to have in the cupboard should the need ever arise.

I saw the other day, a fairly large tank, I guess around about 75 gals ish and it had 4 internal filters, yep 4, one filter in each corner and two filters had internal heaters, the flow and the tank looked fantastic actually and it was a set up I had never seen before. Not enough space below the tank for a cannister....hence the internals.
Next time I go back, I'll take a pic if the tank is still running.

So it does depends on tank size, budget and your own preferences ;)

Internal filters can also be hidden in fake rocks or wood.

There is no reason you couldn't hide a internal filter in something like this if you are handy with tools.

treelarge_grande.jpeg

And while I am on hiding filters heres a great idea on a good way to hide a filter,

To prime a crappy canister filter after filling it with water use a funnel to fill the intake tube with water while keeping the outflow plugged. Put intake into the tank, turn filter on if it's not already, use a jug or something and place the output hose as low to the ground as possible and gravity should take over and prime for you. Then plug or whatever and put in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back