Can we produce bloodworms and mosquito larvae at home ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I dont found flakes and freeze dried food working on bettas i feed them optimum betta food and dry worms . My halfmoon betta's fins were damaged but it's taking very long time to recover. Same thing happened with my crowntail betta but he grew his fins very fast at that time i was feeding him mosquito larvae and bloodworms. It takes lots of time to collect mosquito larvae and bloodworms. So i wanted to less time consuming way to produce them.

if you have big dog check in his bucket of water , i think to grow them you would have to supply and animal to let the skitters bite and grow before the layed eggs ..this isnt very nice getting bitten .. It,s best just to collect them from buckets of water , i find lots can be found in pots full of water plants.

It is illegal to culture mosquitoes and their larvae in most countries because they can spread dangerous diseases. However, if you accidentally leave plastic containers or buckets sitting under trees and a few leaves fall in the buckets and the sprinklers fill them up with water, then mosquitoe larvae will usually appear in the buckets. These should be removed and fed to the fish to stop them pupating and hatching into adult mozzies.

Bloodworms will live in the same containers but make mud cocoons on the bottom and live in them. Bloodworms are not illegal to culture because the midges (adult larvae) do not bite people.

Mosquitoe larvae and bloodworms both feed on infusoria that grows in water. If you have infusoria cultures they can become infested with mozzie larvae so the cultures should be kept covered to prevent this.

The following link tells you how to culture infusoria and other live foods for fish.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

Bloodworms should only be fed once a week as they are not especially nutritious and in excess can be bad for the fish. Same goes for freeze-dried bloodworms.

Depending upon the brand, prepared foods are higher in nutritional value as they contain everything the fish needs. It is more likely a water issue than a food issue you mention.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back