Can We Cover Up The Fish Bowl ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RichiRonald

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to explore the aquarium world and would like to know , when you use fish bowl is it possible to fully cover the bowl with lid ? are these lid having holes for proper circulation of oxygen ? If the lid is fully closed with the fish be able to survive ? Trying to put some small fish that does not need oxygen equipment. 

Kindly anyone please assist.

Thanks,
Richi

Fish bowls are not suitable homes for fishes, with a lid or without, is the simple answer.

There are some large bowl-shaped tanks, but all fish need air and filtration.

If you want to learn more about the aquarium world, you've come to the right place; we have a wealth of knowledge and experience amongst our members and we'll be glad to help you in your journey
smile.png

Filtration and a properly cycled tank is especially important for ANY aquatic animal, I really wish certain fish stores (You know who you are) would quit propagating the fallacy that these are "just add water" pets.
Edit: anything less than a 10 gallon would be too difficult for a beginner IMO.
One of the most surprising things I learned about this hobby when I first started was the fact that the bigger the tank, the easier it was to set up properly and maintain in the long run.

I agree with Jeremy. A standard rectangular tank, of around 60 to 100l (roughly 10 or 20 gallons) is much more stable and forgiving for new fishkeepers to learn with. Tiny 'nano' tanks and bowls can work, but need a lot more experience to make keep healthy. You also have much more fish choice in a larger tank; the fish species that can be kept in very small tanks is very limited.

One of the major problems with bowl shaped tanks is lack of surface area, compared to a standard rectangular shaped tank. Oxygen dissolves into the water at the surface so even a properly filtered bowl shaped tank can have less fish in it than a rectangular tank.

This means that oxygenation (which can just be through a filter that moves the water around; it doesn't have to be an air stone) is even more important in bowl shaped tanks.

Fish need moving water, and water changes to live happily in captivity. Even wild fish that live in, what appear to us, to be stagnant ponds, have fresh water coming in, through rain and drainage.

Another point that's often not mentioned about bowls is that, when filled with water, you get significant distortion, so some parts of the tank become highly magnified (which can be good if you're keeping tiny fish or shrimps ), but other parts 'disappear' and can't be seen at all.

I can understand the appeal of bowls; I actually keep a small unfiltered, unheated fish bowl myself; but just with a few aquatic plants and some small snails, no fish!

agreeing with all that has been said here. Leave the bowl in the shop and buy a proper tank, there are plenty on the market which also come with filtration and heaters included with the tank so no need to buy lots of seperate things.

My favourite tank was my Juwel Rokord 800. A nice size with everything built in (filter, heater, lights) that was needed. It ticked over sweet as a nut and was very easy to maintain. I'd recommend it to anyone as a good beginner set up :)

I agree with everything you guys above me have said, and would like to point out that at my LFS the tiny bowl shaped aquariums cost about as much as a ten-gallon rectangle aquarium.

I would just like to point out that I bought a ten-gallon tank for $13, and the small fish bowls were more expensive than that (tiny half gallon betta set ups for $30-$60!) Get a ten-gallon. What kind of fish are these "small fish that do not need oxygen equipment?"

Thanks all for your reply. I have seen many store keeping betta fish in small jars or glass mid size cup. How do they manage it ? Is that betta fish needs small space ? any other small fish that doesn't grow more than 1-1.5 inch length wise can be kept ? to try for ? 

Bettas are labyrinth fish, which means they can breath air from the surface, not have to take it in through its gills from the water like most fish.

But the bettas you see in tiny containers in fish shops are only meant to be there temporarily; it's not supposed to be home for life. The fish may survive those conditions, but it won't be living a happy life, which is what we want for our pets, even if they are 'just fish'.

There are lots of tiny fish that you can keep, but they will all, if they are to thrive, not just survive, need a proper tank with a filter and heater.

If you're going to get a tank, get one of around 50 or 60l; that's a size that many fish will be happy to live in for their whole lives. Any smaller and you're likely to end up with cramped, unhappy fish. We don't know the hardness of your water, so I wouldn't recommend any fish species to you yet, but there will be lots to choose from
smile.png
If you find out the hardness of your water (it'll be on your supplier's website), then we can recommend species, but you'll need to get a tank and cycle it before you can have fish anyway.

@fluttermoth - thanks for the reply.... I not sure if this is the right forum to ask this another question. I have come across called Ecosystem build in any glass material. You add lake water with worms, sand, fish and snails. Later these all air tight and kept. Does this type of ecosystem really work for long time.  Anyone could suggest ?

I've seen sealed glass containers with seaweed and a shrimp living in them, but as fishkeepers we don't like them; it's the surviving not thriving issue again. Welfare always comes first with us, and these are really not a suitable way to keep any animal. Sealed systems would definitely not work with fish; although they take their oxygen in through their gills from the water, not from the air directly, they still need oxygen to survive.

If you really want nothing more than an decorative 'water feature' in a glass bowl, you could have a few aquatic plants and some small pond snails, but you would still need to change the water and add a little food every now and then, and have a ventilated lid (I have a bowl like this myself).You could even perhaps have some freshwater cherry shrimps, if the bowl was large enough and your room is fairly warm, but if you want fish, you must have a properly filtered tank.

@flutermoth - it like 3/4 air of the water. If you change water daily 25-30% will it help the fish to survive. Not completely sealing it ? Can you use lake/ or pond water for fresh water fish ? do you need to add chlorine in them ? 

If you were to do daily water changes, then yes, you could keep fish without a filter, but you'd still need to heat the water. And what happens if you're ill, or want to go on holiday? What will your fish do then?

You should definitely never use lake or river water for fish; you have no idea what diseases or parasites might be in there which could make your fish extremely sick, or even kill them.

Chlorine is extremely bad for fish; it paralyses their gills so they can't breathe. That's why fishkeepers use dechlorinators when they do water changes, so there is no trace of chlorine in the water.

You must understand that these are living creatures, that we've decided bring into our homes. They are totally reliant on us for their health and wellbeing, and that means taking on a commitment to give them suitable conditions to live in.

It might help us help you if you can describe exactly what it is you want to achieve here. Do you actually want to keep fish, or just have a decorative water feature? Is there a specific reason you don't want to use a filter or air pump? What are you going to do about heating the water?

I'm backing fluttermoth here. The days of keeping fish in bowls with no filter or heater are well and truely over. The old days of winning a goldfish at the fair are now banned by animal welfare officers. 
There is no such thing as "Just a fish". Every living creature deserves to be kept in the right conditions and those right conditions include filtered water and the right water temperature for it's species

If you can't or don't want to give a fish the right living conditions then leave it in the shop and find another hobby

If you just want a decorative display of fish it may be better to get one of the many screensavers and run it on your computer. The fish in them do not suffer, they need no food, no oxygen, no care at all and you can get rid of them at the touch of a button. In any event, do not use a goldfish bowl unless it's for collecting loose change.

@flutermoth - I am still working out. Never heard about heating water ? u mean to maintain water temperature ? is there way to maintain it ...
@ShinySideUp- It's not just screensaver , there are mobile apps also, You also have large size digital fish tank, which can be display on floor...act like a real fish tank....: ) though thanks...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back