Can Swordtail And Platy Hybrids Breed With Each Other?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Eines

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
We just learned how most hybrids are infertile. Does this apply to fish too? I'm especially curious if any has ever bred their platy and swordtail hybrid, but any species would interest me.

Swordtail/platy hybrids are very much fertile and almost all swordtails and platies in the pet stores are already hybrids. Notice the similar colors to each other?

oh, yeah. Well, that's good, I suppose. :fun: Do you know if the males have the extended tail fins?

I don't know the specific genetics of it, but it's possible. As Butch said, most domestic varieties of swordtails and platys are hybrids already, so both tail shapes can be passed.

interesting. well, I was thinking about getting a few female platys to add to my swordtail tank, so I guess I'll see!

Since you guys sound so confident in your reply, I'm gonna say that I am not as confident that any Hybrid can reproduce... (I'm under correction here), but I think Oldman47 and Chesterscot will be able to confirm

Since you guys sound so confident in your reply, I'm gonna say that I am not as confident that any Hybrid can reproduce... (I'm under correction here), but I think Oldman47 and Chesterscot will be able to confirm

Flowerhorns are hybrids and they breed like rabbits. I have also owned fertile sajica/convict hybrids. I've always been told that platy/sword hybrids are fertile though I have never specifically bred them to find out.

Swordtail's and platies are both in the genus Xiphophorus.

A cross between them is very possible but rare and will only happen on an odd occasion.

If you want to cross them, the best thing is to get VIRGIN females from a breeder NOT a shop.
As shop fish will already be pregnant and can carry fry for several months with no other males platies, resulting it a incorrect result.

Females can some how select which sperm they use, so if they don't have a true platy to breed with, they will reject the swords and use the stored sperm.

A cross between them is very possible but rare and will only happen on an odd occasion.

If you want to cross them, the best thing is to get VIRGIN females from a breeder NOT a shop.
As shop fish will already be pregnant and can carry fry for several months with no other males platies, resulting it a incorrect result.

Females can some how select which sperm they use, so if they don't have a true platy to breed with, they will reject the swords and use the stored sperm.
Heres a question.

Is my Female Molly crossed with a sword tail?

She has the tail like thing on her back witch is black (its not fully developed.. )

Heres a question.

She has the tail like thing on her back witch is black (its not fully developed.. )

you can not cross Mollys with a swordtails or platies

Heres a question.

you can not cross Mollys with a swordtails or platies
Oh good now i dont have to worry about my guppys crossing with them :D

Yes but it's not a simple cross.

Females can reject sperm, it's only been tone using a virgin female.
Also most have been artificial inseminated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back