Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can someone help me identify this disease?

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by ElizabethFrancine, Apr 20, 2017.

1. NickAu

NickAu Member

I look at the Tetra in your photo and see ICH as one of the things wrong with it.

It also looks bloated.

2. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Member

Personally I think it is a different protozoa than Ich. I'd go the med-way instead of temp.
    The Corys look a bit skinny amd having reddish gill-gillaereas. Or is it the pic?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. ElizabethFrancine

ElizabethFrancine New Member

Yes, the Cory with the issue is a little skinnier than the rest. He has always been the runt of my 6, but I think the pic makes it look worse. I think the red is from the picture as well. When I just look at them they look ok.

I'm going to treat with lifeguard to cover al the bases. I want to nip this in the bid before I lose any fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Member

Okay!!! Fingers crossed

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Byron

Byron Member

Salt will not harm cories at the level and duration I previously explained in detail. This works for most parasites. You can read this from every reliable source.

Products like "lifeguard" rarely work (it's like take an aspirin when you're "sick" without knowing what it is) and they do stress fish. Fish already under stress from the parasite will only get worse.

There is no medication that will "cover all the bases" because they are too general. This is why disease treatment is so risky with fish; one has to ID the disease fairly accurately.

One thing about salt is its effectiveness unlike any other "medication" with parasitic issues, according to Neale Monks and other sources. I tend to trust these over anyone's opinions.

#35 Byron, Apr 21, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 10:59 AM
  6. ElizabethFrancine

ElizabethFrancine New Member

I should have clarified. The risk being that it is not treating the right disease, and I let it get worse.